PDA

View Full Version : Second car seat recommendation-5pt harness with booster?

first_time mum
01-31-2006, 05:52 PM
Hi,

My 2.5 year old, not quite 30lbs DD is currently in a Britax RA (love it)in my van. I don't expect her to outgrow the RA any time soon. We pretty much use the van when we go out with her and so we have not really bought her a second car seat. But considering the gas prices, we are thinking of using husband's car more when we go out together (only over weekends pretty much). We have been currently moving her RA to his car as and when needed.

I am considering getting another car seat for his car, but would prefer something that I can later use as a booster also. So I want a 5-pt harness that would later be used as a regular booster. What would you recommend? I don't want to pay more than $200. Close to $100, the better. Is there anything out there that I would like as much as the RA and still fit my current needs?

Thank you.

-SP

hipmaman
02-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi,

Would you not consider keeping her in a harnessed seat with high weight limit like the Husky/Regent or MA?

Should you get a carseat/booster combo seat, when your dd reaches 40 lbs, you do have to put her into the booster mode since weight limit for harness system here would still be 40 lbs and your RA is also 40 lbs.

Some children are just too immature to properly sit in a booster seat (ie. sitting up nice and tall, not leaning, slumping, slouching, etc.), despite age.

What would you like, combination seat or carseat with higher harnessed weight than 40 lbs?

momtoB
02-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Not discounting the pp's advice at all. ITA about keeping kids harnessed as long as possible, but another option would be to buy a Cosco Scenera 5-pt convertible (on sale now at Wal*Mart for $40) and then buy a dedicated booster seat (I'm guessing about $100 for a top-of-the-line model) when the time comes. Just a thought. Also, since she's still under 35lbs the Scenera could keep her rear-facing for a little while longer which is safer.

Another option if you still want to go the combo route is the Cosco Apex 65 which harnesses to 65lbs and then converts to a booster. The one thing about this seat though is it must be fully supported by the back of the vehicle seat. It is outgrown the same as a backless booster - when the ears reach the top of the vehicle seatback/headrest. This is because the headrest on the Apex does not withstand crash forces and is only there for the child's comfort. Something to consider...