PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid booster seat needed

lcarskadon
02-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Help! I just purchased toddler bargains last night and a couple of the hybrid seats I'm evaluating are not in the book.

My son is tall (and skinny - less than 40 lbs), so I know he still needs to be in a harness, but I also want a seat that will convert to use a seatbelt.

I noticed they review Graco CarGo Platinum (which received a B), but there was no information on the Evenflo Chase seats (either the Deluxe, Premier, or DLX). I'm also looking at the Evenflo Comfort Touch.

I was looking at the Britax Junior Traveler Si online, but it looks as though it's only available in the UK.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Remember that I need a harness as well AND I need to purchase THREE of them (although I am willing to spend a little more on one).

We currently have the Britax Marathon and the Evenflo Triumph (based on the recommendations in the Baby Bargains book I had from three years ago).

Aunt to sweet baby boy
02-02-2006, 10:23 AM
How old is your ds? How much does he weigh? What is his torso height- sit him against a wall and measure from the floor to his shoulders- where the straps would come from. How much do you want to spend on each seat? Do you want this seat to work well as a booster or do you not mind replacing it with a better booster when the time comes?

Let us know

Ilana

Avi is talking!

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/4koy/2.png

lcarskadon
02-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Thanks for replying!

I'll have to measure him tonight, but he is pretty tall (I know he's over 38"). He's probably around 30 pounds and he'll be 3 in the beginning of May.

I would like a seat with a harness (because of his weight) that will work with a seatbelt later, so I think I'm leaning towards the Recaro Young Sport (even though I have never seen it in person - it looks pretty nice) for my car, but I want to purchase something less expensive for the other two cars (one is driven about as much as mine - if not more - it's grandma's car and she's the nanny).

I went to BRU last night and they do NOT recommend the Evenflo Chase (they know my kids) because of my sons height. They said there is not alot of extra room with the harness.

So, the Graco CarGo (rated a B by Denise and Alan in Toddler Bargains) seems to be my only choice since Britax doesn't make anything like these two seats here in the US; however, I don't like the plastic seatbelt "holders" at the top of the seat because they said they could jam in an accident. Maybe I'm being too paranoid, but safety is my number one concern.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
02-02-2006, 04:19 PM
I am pretty sure the the evenflo has taller harness slots than the graco seats. The evenflo generations is a nice seat that becomes a pretty good booster when that time comes.

Let us know what his harness height is and we can help you some more.

Ilana

Avi is talking!

lcarskadon
02-02-2006, 04:25 PM
I will let you know. I'll probably go there with my son as well and set it on the floor to see how they both work "in action."

tjham
02-02-2006, 05:56 PM
I have the Chase and it has high slots, 16.8! My 4 1/2 yr old is 39" and is at the second fron the top slot. But it doesn't make a great booster.

Generations/Bolero is 16.5. I'm thinking about getting one of these for another car.

The Cargo is only 16.

lcarskadon
02-02-2006, 08:46 PM
he's total 37 1/2." sitting down is 21 1/2." does that help?

Aunt to sweet baby boy
02-02-2006, 11:36 PM
When you say sitting down is that the height from the floor to the top of his shoulders? that is what you need to measure for us.

Thanks

Ilana

Avi is talking!

lcarskadon
02-03-2006, 07:56 AM
lol. Okay, I'll have to do that tonight when I get home from work. the 21 1/2" is when he's sitting down but up to his HEAD. Sorry!

momtoB
02-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi, this site might help you:

Car seat Measurements (including harness heights):
http://www.carseatdata.org/csnumbers.html#combo

I personally like the Evenflo Generations/Bolero, which has open belt loops for when the seat is converted to a bpb. The Generations is sold at Target and the Bolero (less expensive version) is at Wal*Mart & K-mart.

hth!

lcarskadon
02-06-2006, 11:20 AM
We ended up purchasing two of the Evenflo Generations because the height is adjustable up to 28" and it received a B+ rating from Toddler Bargains.

I'm also going to purchase a Recaro Young Sport for my car because it goes up to 29." I'll let the Fields know how I like it.

We sat him in some of the other seats at BRU (Evenflo Chase and the Graco CarGo), and his head was already almost to the top so I figured he wouldn't have alot of room to grow.

Thanks to all who responded! Also, the website with the car seat measurements was a HUGE help!