PDA

View Full Version : police recommened 5 pt. harness high back booster seat

happymom2b
02-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Hi! Does anyone use these? I just got home from the police station for them to install the new marathon i just bought and he gave me advice to get a 5 pt. harness high back booster seat instead.

Here's my situation: Currently my 14 mo/24 pound DS is in the Roundabout, but i will need that Roundabout for my newborn after he/she outgrows the infant carrier at around 5 months. I wanted a new seat (marathon) for DS now so I can put that Roundabout (that he's currently in) in my mother's car so she can take my DS while I"m in the hospital and just to keep it in her car until i take it back when the newborn needs it. So, i was thinking DS would be in my car now with the marathon.

Officer suggested I keep him in the roundabout in my car and buy a 5pt. harness/high back booster seat instead to put in my mother's car because he is over 20 pounds. Said it is much cheaper than the marathon and just as safe. Said the marathon is exceeds what i need. THen, when he gets too tall for the Roundabout, take back the booster in my mom's car and use that.

I'm soo confused...any thoughts??? THANKS!!!

Sallysmom
02-08-2006, 01:12 PM
In my opinion, the Marathon is way better than any 5-point/booster combo seat out there. It will take your child past 40 pounds in a 5-point harness (usually they get too tall to use the full 65 pound limit though). A combo seat will only go to 40 pounds with the harness. You might think the combo is a better deal because you also get a booster, but the combo boosters are usually really bad compared to say a Britax Parkway or Graco Turbobooster which have adjustable height and more side protection. Consumer Reports even found safety issues with some of the combos in booster mode. If you keep the Marathon, your younger child can move into it when your oldest is ready for a booster.

The Marathon is extremely well made, just like the Roundabout you’re used to. It’s easy to install, comfortable, and super safe. It has impact foam for added safety, and most combos won’t. Britax does a lot of crash testing, and Consumer Reports also rates the seats extremely well. They all meet minimum safety standards, but that doesn't mean they are all equally safe. The combo seats are budget seats in my opinion, and you get what you pay for in terms of quality, comfort, ease of installation, durability, etc.

We used to have a Marathon. My DD was in it when our car was totaled. I feel it saved her life. The straps stayed on her thighs, and prevented any internal injury. I know this because the impact was so severe that the straps left "rope burn" marks on her legs. That was her only injury. You should have seen the car. She told me she “hit her head really hard�, but it was on impact foam instead of hard plastic. I've read that the foam reduces the impact on the head by 90%. I think it's terrible that all seats don't have it considering it probably only costs a couple of bucks.

We replaced her seat with a Britax Wizard (more side impact protection). She is 5.5 years old and just outgrew the Wizard in height. She would have outgrown a 40 pound weight limit seat about 1.5-2 years ago. She’s in a Parkway booster now, but I sure wish she was still in a harness. I hope this helps! Don't listen to the cop!

happymom2b
02-08-2006, 01:30 PM
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I really appreciate you taking the time to write back that info. Those were all of my original thoughts, and then this guy threw out that monkey wrench at me! Your experience in that car crash solidifies my justification in keeping the Marathon. I'm so glad you were all OK.

Now I have to go back and have someone put in the Marathon (just gives me peace of mind). I hope it's not the same officer! If it is, who cares anyway!
Thanks again,
Ali

happymom2b
02-08-2006, 01:31 PM
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I really appreciate you taking the time to write back that info. Those were all of my original thoughts, and then this guy threw out that monkey wrench at me! Your experience in that car crash solidifies my justification in keeping the Marathon. I'm so glad you were all OK.

Now I have to go back and have someone put in the Marathon (just gives me peace of mind). I hope it's not the same officer! If it is, who cares anyway!
Thanks again,
Ali

happymom2b

Thanks again,
Ali

happymom2b

Thanks again,
Ali

happymom2b

Thanks again,
Ali

SusanMae
02-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Not to mention that since your son is only 25 pounds he has lots of time to benefit from Rear Facing still. I'm not a tech...but I've installed a MA RF with latch. Do you have LATCH? It's super easy.

I think you should go to www.cpsafety.org and print off some info for that officer!!! He needs a refresher/update course.

Susan

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-12-2006, 02:43 PM
are you sure he was a tech? I'm sure he was just trying to save you money, but the benefits of rearfacing longer just overrides it.

Kat

allthetimemom
02-18-2006, 02:04 PM
I used to be so nutsy about professionally installed car seats that once mine was in I wouldn't move it for anything.

The truth is, to install Marathon with latch, it is click one side, click the other, then I sit in it myself it is so nice and big, and pull tight the latch connector straps. At that point, it doesn't move at all. Then I do the tether. My life got more complicated after 2nd child and now I have to swap marathon between different cars frequently. I can do it in under 5 minutes. Don't sweat it.

Agree w/ previous posters. I agonized over seat things. Marthon is phenomenal.