PDA

View Full Version : Britax Regent Install

jrbeasley
02-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Just bought a Britax Regent. The Regent Seat comes with an additional bar that you must put on in the back and the instructions confused me a little. The instructions said to install the bar when I use the LATCH system which I have in my Honda Pilot. But I believe that the instructions say not to use (or don't need to use) the bar when using the Tether. Is this true or am I misundertanding the directions?

Looking at the seat, it appears to me that the seat fits better without the bar. I am using the LATCH and the tether system. At least in my Pilot, the bar actually makes it difficult to get tight since the bar is laying up against the belt release - worries me a little that the bar could hit the belt release to allow the belt to slide in the event of an accident.

I would love to hear others who have this seat and how they installed it into their vehicle.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Okay... all the instructions for installation act as though you will be using the recline bar... so that they don't have to list it again, I suppose.

but the recline bar instructions on page 20 for the Recline bar only state that it must be used if there is no top tether.

I don't think you have to use the recline bar... but remember you can't use Latch once your child is 48lbs.

Kat

Naomi S
02-16-2006, 10:30 PM
I recently installed three Regents in our vehicle, and I also had a difficult time understanding the recline bar. I installed all the seats with the bar (using the vehicle seatbelts, we don't have LATCH), then I realized I could reach right in and pull the bar out. This was using the seatbelt in the "shortpath" installation. (Picture of this on the side of the Regent.)

Then I tried the longpath installation (still with the seatbelt). Oh my goodness, I can't tell you much much tighter I was able to get the seats! I then put the recline bar in, and it snugged the seat up even more! I'm telling you, between the long path installation and the recline bar, my seats are SOLID. The long path installation helps to anchor the top of the seat (in addition to the tether). Seriously - my seats don't budge a millimeter. Once I got the seatbelt adjusted to the right length, I unhooked it to add the recline bar. It made a noticeable difference.

Hope that helps!
Naomi
Mom to three-year-old triplets!