PDA

View Full Version : fitting a Regent into a third row Sienna 2004

enc3
02-12-2006, 09:10 PM
I have a 6yo son who is 44 inches and 40lbs. I just realized he outgrew the harness portion of his Graco UltraCargo. I'd like to keep him harnessed for as long as possible and so I plan to get a Britax Regent instead of switching to the booster aspect of the UltraCargo. Does anyone know the height limit for the Regent and if it fits well into the third row outboard seat of a Toyota Sienna 2004? I checked the carseat compatibility database, and most people say it fits well for all Sienna models, EXCEPT the 2004 model, third row. I'm hoping someone has a different experience than this. I need him in the third row because I have my 18 month old in the second row captain's chair in a rear facing Britax RA (but am planning to upgrade to a rf Marathon and move the RA to the second car) .

My middle son (4.5 yo, 42 inches, 38 lbs) is in an Evenflo Apollo, harnessed ff seat (also in the third row outboard of the Sienna) , and I'll need to replace this when he outgrows the height limit (one inch to go) to also keep him harnessed. I was wondering if there were any problems with the Apollo, since it seems to have come and gone from the carseat market rather quickly.

Is it overkill to buy two Regents in the next few years? I haven't had any trouble harnessing the two older boys yet. I'm willing to consider the Parkway for my six year old if it seems like a more reasonable, practical option in the longrun.

Thanks for any advice.
Emily

mommyto4
02-13-2006, 01:05 AM
The height limit on the Husky/Regent states 53 inches. I have two Huskies in my 97 Plymouth Voyager (not Grand Voyager) outboard in the third row and they fit great. My 7 year old daughter and almost 6 year old son ride in them. My 7 year old is about 52 inches tall and weighs 60 pounds and still fits in it with a little room to grow. I don't think it is overkill to have two Huskies and you do have another younger child to pass one down to when your oldest out grows it. My 8 1/2 year old just out grew hers and is now in a Recaro Start but, I would much rather have all of my kids harnessed. I hope this helps.
Melinda, mommy to Sarah, Kaylee, Jayci, & Davis and grammy to Trevor and Katie

Joolsplus2
02-13-2006, 03:36 PM
I have 2 Huskies...one for my 8.5 yo and one for my 6.5 yo...they are leggy kids, and should easily fit in it till age 10-11 (shorter torsos, longer legs, slightly under average weight)... they love their Huskies, but I also don't mind them riding in good booster seats, so they are also frequently in the Britax Parkway or Recaro Start (both have side impact protection and are very comfortable for bigger kids).
I think the Regent *should* fit in the Sienna third row, but I've asked some friends if they have any experience and will post back as soon as I know!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

enc3
02-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks for asking around about the fit of a Regent into a 2004 Sienna, third row. I can't seem to find a place where we can try out the fit before purchasing it. Babies R Us doesn't seem to carry the Regent, and I usually buy my carseats online.

Do you happen to know the width of the Parkway or the Recaro Start? I have to fit three carseasts in a row across the back of my second car (Roundabout is one of them), and it's tight!

Thanks also for the advice.

Emily

enc3
02-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks for asking around about the fit of a Regent into a 2004 Sienna, third row. I can't seem to find a place where we can try out the fit before purchasing it. Babies R Us doesn't seem to carry the Regent, and I usually buy my carseats online.

Do you happen to know the width of the Parkway or the Recaro Start? I have to fit three carseasts in a row across the back of my second car (Roundabout is one of them), and it's tight!

Thanks also for the advice.

Emily

Joolsplus2
02-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Ok, sorry for the delay (why does clicking a favorites link for a board feel like walking a mile sometimes? lol).

It seems the Regent fits just fine in the outboard (window) seats, but not well in the center... several tech-friends of mine all had the same report about that. So I think you're good, even if you buy the seat sight-unseen. (of course, installing it WILL be a challenge, but we can walk you through it!).

Oh, just in case you were wondering, the Sunshine Kids Radian seat does NOT fit anywhere in a Sienna, I'm sorry to report (fits fine in honda captain's chairs...not that you asked, but I should say it before I forget, since it's a nice seat with tall top slots and a high weight limit).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-18-2006, 02:25 PM
britax seats are surprisingly pretty good about fitting most cars...

for your second car, it's all a matter of fitting pieces of the puzzle together.

my 6yr old and 4.5 yr old just got a Regent and a Husky respectively (it was supposed to be the other way around, but they each liked the other's seat better, so I just let them have what they liked) and both are in the third slots (they are only 1.5" apart in torso height... 4" apart in total height)

I don't feel it's overkill at all. I love how safe they are in harnessed seats and it's easier for my 6yr old to buckle and unbuckle himself completely from the Regent than it was in a booster, where he couldn't buckle himself without me standing there holding the shoulder belt out to give him slack.

He can even loosen himself (I had to teach him)... but can't tighten, which is fine... lets me make sure there was no twisting.

He's much better about not unbuckling as soon as we get somewhere and I really think it's due to how much more comfy he is in the seat.

for your second car, I'd probably put a Parkway on each side and then a harnessed seat in the middle.

Kat