PDA

View Full Version : Buy Recaro Young Sport now, or wait?

becca34
02-19-2006, 12:51 PM
My daughter just turned 2. She is off the charts tall at 37 inches, but only 27 pounds -- and her height is all in her torso, it seems. She's currently comfortable in her Britax RA, but her shoulders are right at the top slot, so I'm looking at options for our next seat.

I think I've decided on the Recaro Young Sport, based on everything I've read here. (Julie, your advice is invaluable!) I like the idea that it's made by an actual car seat manufacturer, and for almost the same price as a Marathon, we'll get the booster function after she outgrows the harness, too.

I can't find them in stores, though, so I'm a little nervous ordering sight unseen. My question is, BabyAge has a 10% off deal this weekend, and they have low shipping -- so I could get one seat for $230. And I really want two, one for DH's car as well.

I don't know how much longer we have in the Roundabout -- maybe 6 more months, tops. Should I go ahead and purchase the Recaros now, or wait and see what's on the market in 6 months? Do you think they'll come down in price? Is there anything else promising out there?

Oh, additionally, I have a 2001 Subaru Forester that does not have LATCH. Does anyone know if it's a huge pain to install this seat with seatbelts? (This might be moot, as I'm trying to talk DH into the new Toyota Highlander Hybrid, LOL.)

Thanks for any advice!

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-19-2006, 09:47 PM
I'm only worried that the young sport won't have tall enough slots to keep your child harnessed to 4yrs and 40lbs... I know they are tall... 18-19", but the roundabout top slots are 15.5-16"

I think I'd be looking at the Regent.

Kat

j4m4d8
02-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Just wanted to ask, is your daughter in diapers still? Cloth or disposable?

If she's already out of diapers, then I too have serious reservations about her making it to 4 in the Young Sport. It might happen, but probably not.

If she's still in diapers, especially cloth, then I would think the Young Sport would be OK.

If you don't like the idea of a Regent and money is no object, the SafeGuard has nice tall slots also and is a little narrower. It does cost $429 though, and it doesn't convert to a booster either.

becca34
02-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Hmm, I didn't think about her outgrowing the harness height in the Sport....I will take a look at the Regent. I'm not opposed to it, really, but I worry that she's too skinny for it to offer good sleep support right now, and that she might fight me at age 5 when all her friends are in boosters....hmm.

She is still in disposable diapers -- we'll tackle the potty thing in a few months, but I'm not holding my breath, LOL. What does diapers have to do with it, though?

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-20-2006, 03:23 AM
they add padding.... when really wet can raise a kid up some.

don't worry about the potty... she'll be pee trained by kindergarten... can't promise on poop, but most kids are.... or get so during, barring any medical reasons.

my oldest finally became poop trained this year in kindergarten, but was pee trained the June before last school year... which was why he went to preschool... and he only pooped himself twice... he has mild scoliosis and bipolar disorder.

my second son took longer more due to the urge to be like his brother and then, afte rhis sister came, the urge to be a baby... but he's fully potty trained and he turns 5 in July.

my niece didn't potty train till right before kindergarten... so it's not just a boy thing.

my mil said her girl took longer than her four boys.

if you're worried about sleep support for the Regent, just plan to use the recline bar... it really helps... my oldest sits in our third row center, so it's a lap-only belt... aka... must use short belt path and recline bar... and his head doesn't even lean to the side.

When I can, I'm gonna sacrifice my back (aka... my younger ds's leg room) and try the recline bar to see if it makes a difference in the captain's chair.

Kat

j4m4d8
02-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Yes, that's why I asked, just wanted to see how much room for growth there really is.

I'm thinking about this. I like our Husky really well, but for a thin 2 year old you will definitely not have the sleep support. My daughter never sleeps in the car so that's not a problem for us.

The Husky/Regent isn't the easiest seat to move around. I don't have any trouble installing it, but it's difficult for me to get in and out of a vehicle. So if you went that route you'd also need an easier to move seat in case you wanted to ride in someone else's car.

Would you be open to getting a Young Sport now, knowing that the possibility exists that you may have to buy a Regent later? Because then you'd have a nice harnessed seat with sleep support for a year or more, and you could still use it as an easy to move booster later even if you needed to get a Regent for a primary seat. Does that make sense? I think that's what I would do. Take a chance on the Young Sport, knowing it might not be all I need.