PDA

View Full Version : Time for a Booster Seat?

dszeppel
02-19-2006, 03:34 PM
I need help in deciding if we can switch to a Booster Seat or not. My daughter is 4 years old and petite (30 lbs and 38"). We currently have a Britax Roundabout that is starting to feel a little snug. Is she still too small for a Booster Seat? I am confused because the boxes for the booster seats say they fit 30-80 lbs and 38" and bigger. Everything I read tells me differently and that she needs to be at least 40 lbs. At her rate, that could take years! What's the maximum height for the Britax RA? What is the next seat for her if we can't do a booster? Sorry for all the questions but I am definitely confused! Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Scatterbunny
02-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Your daughter is still tiny--she should definitely stay in a harness for some time to come. The recommendation is at least 4 years old and 40 pounds...both, not one or the other.

The reason some highback boosters start at 30 pounds is to account for the tall, skinny, older kids who have outgrown 40 pound weight limit harnessed seats by height.

Your Roundabout is not outgrown until your dd's shoulders go above the top harness slot, the tips of her ears go above the top of the seat shell or she reaches 40 pounds, whichever happens first. Stated height limit in the manual does not matter because all children are built differently. At 38 inches she should still have quite a bit of room in the Roundabout.

If she rides with other people often and can understand the importance of staying in proper position at all times, a highback booster might be okay as a spare seat. I wouldn't move out of a harness in the full-time vehicle until it is absolutely necessary.

See the crash test video comparisons of a harnessed seat and a booster:

http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/kisitest_2002/videos/test2002/frontcrash/maxicosipriori.mpg

http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/kisitest_2002/videos/test2002/frontcrash/maxicosirodi.mpg

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-19-2006, 09:39 PM
I would definitely keep her harnessed.

I would recommend the Recaro Youngsport because she is SO skinny and petite that the Britax Regent might be too much seat... it has really tall top slots and then makes an AWESOME booster.

I just don't see her hitting 40lbs before she's 5.

Otherwise, if you still wanted to keep her harnessed past 40lbs, the new Safeguard is a slimmer option that might fit her better, but it's very expensive... though worth it.

it harnesses to 65lbs and has harness top slots almost as tall as those of the Regent.

Uccomama has one.

but if you really want the longevity of the Regent and can't afford the Safeguard, then go with the Regent.

Kat