PDA

View Full Version : SAFE to use rubber mat under Parkway?

CnKmommy
02-20-2006, 08:55 AM
I have the Prince Lionheart 2 Stage Seat Saver that I used under ds RA forever; he tends to be messy like me. Now his little sister is in the RA, so he moved to a Parkway :)

Took me forever to decide, but thanks to your posts, I did! I'm still nervous about no harness, but we're trying the booster. Just bought it.

Would it be SAFE to use the mat under the booster?

If you need to know his stats: 39" tall, 36 lbs, 4 yrs old.

Thank you,
Terri

Corben 12/19/01
Kendra 7/29/05

Spencers Mom
02-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Just bumping this back up. I have the same question but for a different reason. My husband has leather seats in his truck and is conserned about the deep impressions the car seat are leaving on his seats. (and in my Tahoo too for that matter)
Alison

tjham
02-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Not sure about the safety of a mat, but I think techs here usually strongly recommend NOT to use a booster seat until a child is at least 40 lbs. and 4 yrs old and not even then until it is absolutely necessary. But the Parkway is a great seat!

momtoB
02-24-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm not a tech, but aftermarket products under seats are generally a no-no:
http://www.carseatsite.com/FAQ.htm#General%20Questions
Is it safe to . . . ?

When this question is asked, the answer is generally "No" because it usually means you are asking about modifying the car seat or installation of the car seat in some manner that goes against manufacturer instructions. If you find yourself asking this question, consult your car seat manual or call the manufacturer.

Britax
888-427-4829
www.britaxusa.com

Britax:

"The use of non-Britax Child Safety, Inc covers, inserts, toys, accessories, or tightening devices is not approved by Britax. Their use could cause this restraint to fail Federal Safety Standards or perform worse in a crash. Their use automatically voids the Britax warranty." (This statement can be found under the Warranty section of all Britax Child Restraint manuals)

and from: http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/boosterbasics.aspx
Avoid using add-on products
Anything that did not come in the box with the seat could potentially put your child at risk. Adding seat belt covers could cause the the belt to be positioned incorrectly. Also, never use an aftermarket belt positioning device in place of a booster seat.

hth.

girlsmom
02-25-2006, 01:20 AM
I don't have the Parkway, but in my Graco TurboBooster manual it states under Care and Maintenance:

"CONTINUOUS USE OF BOOSTER SEAT MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO VEHICLE SEAT. Use a booster seat mat, towel or thin blanket to protect upholstery."

I've been using a Prince Lionheart Seatsaver with carseats since my DD was born 5 1/2 years ago. The CPS Tech that helped fit her infant carseat into my car was actually the one that suggested using one because the carseat was slipping on my leather seats. Using the seatsaver improved the fit and prevented the carseat from sliding side to side.

~Annie

Scatterbunny
02-25-2006, 01:02 PM
I was just taught in CPST class Wednesday that it is not safe to put anything under a carseat.

Look at this crash test video of a properly installed forward-facing harnesed carseat: http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/kisitest_2002/videos/test2002/frontcrash/maxicosipriori.mpg

Notice how much movement there is? Notice how much the seatbelt stretches and how it allows the carseat to move around?

THIS IS NORMAL. Belts are designed to stretch in a crash to absorb crash forces, so our bodies don't have to absorb as much force.

If there is anything underneath a carseat it means there is that much more slack in the belts to begin with. That extra looseness could mean the difference between your child living or dying or being seriously injured.