PDA

View Full Version : Need new seat

kbkc
02-27-2006, 01:24 PM
DD is 3 1/2 years old 40" tall, 30# and 14" sitting on floor to shoulder. I am looking for a new seat for her. She is currently in the Marathon but has a little sister who is growing like a weed and needs the seat. Which seat should I move big sister into. I was going to get the Recaro young sport but the harness height seemed low. Also looked into the Britax Regent
I want a seat I can use for 3+ years and then pass down to little sister. Thanks for the help.

lcarskadon
02-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Check out http://www.carseatdata.org/csnumbers.html#combo for car seat dimensions.

The recaro and evenflo generations have the highest backs and slots (unless you go to a 'tall/husky' seat (I've seen them for around $400 some places). The Generations even has two slots for the crotch (which is nice for younger AND older children). Also, the weight goes up to 100 lbs. The harness also seems pretty long (which was the issue with his older seats - the evenflow triumph and the britax marathon).

I purchased two of the generations and am waiting to purchase the recaro young sport for my car (it's on backorder everywhere). So far, I am VERY happy with the generations - and my son loves it!

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
02-28-2006, 04:28 PM
How long do you want her harnessed?

if you want her harnessed past 40lbs, I'd get the Regent or the Safeguard (though it's much pricier, it is narrower and may do better for lighterweight kids like your daughter because it only goes to 65lbs)

I wouldn't think about passing the seat down in three years... chances are, when it comes time for your second child to give up the Marathon, you'll want another Regent or Safeguard at that time, unless your daughter has so mcuh growth that she's close to outgrowing the Safeguard, but doubtful, as it's top slots are the same as the Regent.

I would keep them both harnessed as long as possible.

Oh, and the Generations and Young Sport are your best combo seat options... both go to 40lbs harnessed and have tall top slots equal to those of the Marathon and then become belt positioning boosters.

kbkc
02-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the response. I want to keep her harnessed as long as possible but my worry is how long will she let me harness her. I've read others say their kids get teased by classmates because they are still in a "baby" seat. That does not concern me so much but it seems kids are getting hit by peer pressure so much younger. So getting something that will convert to a booster when she is older is my goal.

lcarskadon
03-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Both the Recaro Young Sport and the Evenflo Generations convert to a 'seat belt' harnessed booster seat (that's why I purchased them); however, I don't believe the backs are removable on either of them.

They both got good ratings by the authors as well.

lcarskadon
03-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Both the Recaro Young Sport and the Evenflo Generations convert to a 'seat belt' harnessed booster seat (that's why I purchased them); however, I don't believe the backs are removable on either of them.

They both got good ratings by the authors as well.

Joolsplus2
03-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Most 'combo' seats are good as harnessed seats and crummy as boosters (well, not UNsafe, just not as easy to use as a real booster is)...so look at one with tall top slots (Evenflo or Graco or Recaro or the Cosco Apex) so that you can keep her harnessed to about 40 pounds (those all have about the same harness top slot height as the Marathon). Just pay attention to the quality of the harness and the comfort of the seat, and don't worry about them becoming boosters (the exception is the Recaro, it's a NICE booster later). In a few years, you can look for a good dedicated booster, like the Britax Parkway, and that'll last till she's 8-12 and ready for the adult seatbelt (highback boosters are 70% safer than no back boosters, unless you have side curtain airbags, so DO buy one).

Hope that helps... you know, you could also just buy the baby a new Marathon and leave your DD in hers... no need to rush her out of her comfy wonderful seat when she has years left in it...just a suggestion (and you could get matching covers, even... ;) )
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mommyto4
03-01-2006, 12:19 PM
In a case like yours, I would probably consider buying a Recaro Young Sport. Use it with the harness for your older child now. Then, when she outgrows it at 40 pounds(which could still be awhile),put her back in the marathon (to keep her harnessed until she is 4 or 5)and the baby can use the Young Sport. Then, when you and your older child are ready for a booster, put the baby back in the marathon and use the Young Sport in high back booster mode for the older one. I hope this makes sense to you and I hope it helps.
Melinda mom to Sarah 22, Kaylee 8, Jayci 7, & Davis 5
grammy to Trevor 23 mo. & Katie 11 mo.