PDA

View Full Version : Need some feedback

Edward
02-27-2006, 03:04 PM
First off, great site...very informative. Thanks.

I have 2 kids.

Son............................................... .....Daughter

2 1/2yrs.............................................. 14 months
35lbs............................................. .....20lbs
36.5".................................................. 28"
potty trained @ 20mths........................diapers
Britax Marathon...................................Graco SnugRide

I am looking into purchasing a new car seat. My thinking was to purchase one for our son and give our daughter the Britax Marathon.

More specifically I was looking at the following:

>>>>> Britax Parkway with True Side Impact Protection
>>>>> Recaro Young Style Car Seat

After reading countless posts,articles. Started to question if this is the thing to do. At the same token, I am looking at it as not wanting to buy extra car seats in the next year.

Any suggestions,facts would IMMENSLY help in this decision we as parents encounter.

thnx
Edward

kellyotn
02-27-2006, 05:02 PM
I'd get another Marathon. :) Your son is way too young to be in a booster, even though you picked good boosters! Keeping him harnessed is safer and more comfy for him than a seat belt booster. Most of the experts say 4-5 years is the minumum that a child is mature enough to be in a booster. In a booster THEY have the responsibility to keep in proper position. 2.5 is too young for that responsibility. Yes, he might meet the minimum weight for the seat, and lots of parents do it, but the techs around here don't encourage it at all... (I'm not a tech, by the way. Just a car seat nut.)

Other considerations - what about sleeping? He'll easily flop out of proper position if he sleeps. An additional worry for me is rollovers, I live in snow and ice country and rollovers are not a "rare" thing. If it happens to me, I want my kids fully harnessed.

A Marathon should last him until he's 5-6 and THEN ready for a booster. I know it seems weird to buy a 2.5 year old another "convertible seat", but it lasts for so long, its really a good idea. I bought one for my daugther when she was over 2 years old. I had a 6 month old too, so I added 2 Marathons to our 2 smaller (40 lb max) seats. She outgrew the smaller seat by 3, but is still going strong in the MA at 3.5 and fairly tall for her age. She's got lots of room to go. And, all her growth since about 2.5 has been in the leg. She stayed even with the 2nd to highest slot for a super long time. I kept checking, thinking she'd have to be passing it, but it was just those legs that grew!

If your son were lighter, I'd suggest a "combo seat" - one that can harness until 40 lbs, then becomes a booster. Popular ones are the Evenflo Generations/Bolero, or the Graco Ultra Cargo.... But, your son might not last harnessed in them for very long as he's already 35 lbs - so I'd scratch them off the list. (The Evenflo ends up making a better booster than the Graco's, for what its worth.)

The other strong contender if another MA doesn't appeal to you would be a Cosco Apex 65. Its a newer seat that harnessed until 65 lbs, then becomes a booster. Its $130 or so, so cheaper than an MA. Its nice and tall like an MA (so won't be outgrown too soon by height). But, you'll need to go to Toys R Us and try it out in your car. It has a rule that you HAVE to use it with a vehicle with high head rests. The child's midpoint of his head (sitting in the Apex) has to be LOWER than the vehicle seat back. So, if you have a car with no/low headrests, or if the head rest needs to be removed to make the seat fit - it won't work. (It won't work for us in my husband's F-350.)

Jump over to the car seat board on the Baby section, its a lot more active. :) I'm sure if you repost, you'll get lots of replies.

www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=13

Ask for the booster-readiness checklist, I'm sure someone there has the link.

Hope that helps!

Edited to add - I'm assuming you are in the US. If you are in Canada things are different b/c they have different max weights than we do. (I think an MA is 48 lbs, but the harnessed boosters are also 48 lbs - making them a more attractive option there than here....)

Joolsplus2
03-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Thumbs up, another Marathon. No WAY should a 2.5 yo be in a booster, and he's kind of heavy, so a seat that harnesses to 40 pounds wouldn't last very long. He'll fit in the MA for another couple years, so it'll be awhile before you are really looking at new seats (really, head injury data shows kids MUST be at LEAST age 4 before they go into boosters, and the Marathon will certainly last him that long or longer)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Edward
03-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback ;o]

I was thinking after the posts that maybe I should just pick up a RECARO Young Sport for our daughter. It has a five point harness http://www.recaro-nao.com/INDEX_FRAMES_NS.HTML and when our son is ready for the booster just give him that one and put our daughter in the Marathon.

Probably sounds alot better then my 1st idea.

Thnx

Joolsplus2
03-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Yeah, you can do that... but put your dd rearfacing in the Marathon a little longer, and use the Recaro till your son is 40 pounds, then switch them... rearfacing is safEST as long as possible, to the limits of the convertible seat (33 pounds for the Marathon...see the link in my sig for more info on that :) ).

Happy shopping!

momtoB
03-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Or buy a Britax Regent for your ds and put your dd rear-facing in the Marathon.... The Regent will keep your ds harnessed for a long time (up to 80lbs) and is probably the safest option since he's only 2-1/2 and already 35lbs.

hth!

p.s. here's an interesting article that explains the benefits of extended rear-facing http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9916868/

pjand1
03-06-2006, 07:39 PM
I put my DS in a Parkway booster at age 2. GASP go all the parents!! He was 39.5 inches and 38 pounds - at first I was nervous - but he sits great in it.

However - that is just for my husband's car - which he is not in very often (only weekends).

I bought two Britax Wizards for my car, which we use daily. I just hate taking the seats in and out of cars for short errands, and I didn't want to buy a 3rd carseat.

It really depends on your comfort level and the temperment of your child.

My brother lives overseas and his kids have never been in car seats.....but again, I'm sure I've riled up a whole bunch of people....!!

Joolsplus2
03-07-2006, 08:40 AM
No gasping here...I mean, it's your child, it's your choice to take that kind of risk...which is actually quite small, if he's really not in the car very much. The us has the lowest risk of death in cars compared to any other country, so there's probably something to our obsession.... Yet car crashes are STILL the number one cause of death and injury to everyone age 3-34, so why not do everything you possibly can to prevent that?