PDA

View Full Version : need cheaper carseat or 5pt. harness booster for grandma's car

happymom2b
03-06-2006, 10:15 AM
My DS is 15 months and about 25 pounds. I need to purchase a second seat for Grandma's car. I have the Marathon for my car, but can't spend that much $ again. I was thinking about getting a 5 pt. harness high back booster (eddie bauer?) or just another seat (graco?). What do you recommend?

swim1135
03-06-2006, 10:39 AM
I would recommend purchasing a Graco 5 point seat. We bought the Cosco 5 point booster as it was highly recommended and the only 5 point convertible booster to get consumer report's endorsement. This seat is VERY difficult to use. I pinched my son about 10 times in the groin because the buckle strap is so short. It was hard to install and as a booster it is FAR inferior to the Graco Turbo booster. We bought the Cosco seat because our baby had to move out of the infant seat at 6 mos (he is very big) and in hindsight I should have just bought another Britax. Now the older child is big enough for a booster but I got rid of the Cosco and purchased another Graco Turbo booster. I use the low end Graco 5 point as a seat in our second car and at grandma's, I think it was about $70 3 years ago, I believe the upper weight limit is 40 or 45 which should take you to a booster.

Joolsplus2
03-06-2006, 07:30 PM
The Cosco Scenera is a nice bargain choice (much much nicer than that Summit the OP got stuck with, thanks to lovely consumer reports...ick!)... especially if you want to keep your kiddo rearfacing longer (HIGHLY recommended...if not, make sure grandma has top tether anchors for forward facing...I have part numbers for most cars if you need them). The Graco Platinum or Ultra Cargo, or the Evenflo Generations or Bolero are great seats.
The main reason to shun the Coscos (besides the Apex, that's a fine choice), is that they have heinously low top slots...they just don't last long enough...same with the Graco Comfortsport, it's just outgrown by too many average 2 year olds :(.
The Turbo would be fine, when your kiddo is at least age 4, preferably older, as the older kids are before they go to boosters, the less risk of severe head injury in a crash (ie, harnessing in a proper seat for weight and height is safer than graduation to a booster too young)

So, to sum up (I'm babbling today!)... Scenera for a bargain convertible choice, Cargo or Generations or Bolero or Apex for
'combo' seats...they have different harness adjusters, so make sure you and grandma can use the one you choose easily!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

happymom2b
03-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Thank you very much. I didn't know about the low top slots. It's great to know you can always get excellent advice here!
Ali =)