PDA

View Full Version : 5 year old weighs only 35 lbs -- what seat should I get?

mom2girls
03-10-2006, 09:21 AM
My daughter, age 5, is 42" tall but only 35 lbs, the same weight she was when she turned 4! She is mature enough for a booster but I am reluctant to put her in one given her small frame. She is still in her Britax Roundabout but the straps are too tight. What seat should I get for her? I don't see the point in getting a Marathon at this point because she will demand a booster when she turns 6, if not before. The Apex doesn't impress me, especially the headrest issue. Help!

kellyotn
03-10-2006, 11:23 AM
How about an Evenflo Generations/Bolero combo? It harnesses until 40, then becomes a decent booster. It sits low and looks "booster-ish" compared to an RA even when harnessed.

Also very, very nice are the Recaro Young Sport. It also harnesses until 40. Then, they are **super** nice boosters, have side impact protection. They are very attractive too. She could pick out the color and maybe accept it harnessed better??

I'd keep her harnessed until she hits 40, regardless of what she wants. ;)

mom2girls
03-10-2006, 12:14 PM
I love the Recaro young sport but the company says 40" max for the harness and my daughter is 42". Evenflo says you can harness to 43" but her torso is long so I suspect she is too tall for that one, too. Ugh!

kellyotn
03-10-2006, 01:54 PM
http://www.carseatdata.org/csnumbers.html has the slot height measurements. I don't know that they are perfect, but it will give you some guidance. It says an Evenflo is 1" lower than a Recaro. Manufacturer's total stated heights can be very whacked. Some seem to think kids are all leg, others all torso.

Hmm, I'd go try a Evenflo in person - they are at Target, , Kmart, Walmart, Baby Depot, etc. I'm not sure where you can see a Recaro in person.

I'm surprised she still fits in a Roundabout!!

I do think you have time in any of them if she fits in an RA heightwise.

HTH!