PDA

View Full Version : New seat for 3 year old or for infant?

aimers
03-13-2006, 06:15 PM
I need some help with car seats, I've been reading posts but still have questions, any help would be appreciated!

I have two children, one who just turned 3 and one who is 6 months. My 3 year old is 35" tall and 28.5 pds and is in a Evenflo Triumph. My 6 month old is 17 pds and 27" and according to specs, he is too tall for his infant seat which is a Graco Snugride. One way or another we need a new seat.

Do I get my 3 year old a booster seat eventhough he still has time in his Triumph (which I'm sure he has a lot of time in yet) and move my baby into that Triumph? OR do I get my baby a new Triumph and wait until my 3 year old is 40 pds to get him a new seat?

If I do go with a booster for my 3 yr old, which one is best since he is smaller? From what I've been reading it seems the Recaro Young Sport is a good choice (though my husband will cringe at the cost!) and so is the Evenflo Generations. The Recaro is pricey, but it should last him a long time right? So in the long run I think it will save us from buying him yet another booster when he's older. How long does the Generations last in comparison? I'm trying to do this as cost effectively as I can, and at the moment my mind is so boggled I can't make sense of anything.

Price is a concern, but I want to do what will keep them safe the longest.

Hope that made sense, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

:)

aimers
03-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Forgot to add we have a Chevy Trailblazer.

Joolsplus2
03-14-2006, 09:56 AM
The Young Sport and Generations have about the same harness slot heights and will last about the same time, I think...but the Recaro has awesome side impact protection and is just higher quality all around (nothing wrong with the Generations, but it's a little like comparing Payless shoes to really good, high quality shoes (insert your favorite brand here, lol)).
You'll still need a bigger booster for later (kids need them to age 8-12, and 'combo' seats really only fit kids as boosters till they are 7 or so, they just aren't big enough)...so you can use it harnessed for a couple years, then hand it down to the baby with the harness still in it, then get a new booster, which can be a $15 backless at that point...so no worries about major investments after this seat!

Play with the harness of the seat you like...that's what you're going to use daily (they all fit fine in a Trailblazer, so that's ok)...the Generations has a weird knob...oh, you're used to that from the Triumph, lol... the Graco Ultra or Platinum Cargo are super nice harnessed seats, too (not as nice as the Recaro...) and the Recaro is great. You could even get the Britax Marathon or Regent for a good long time harnessed (you do want to harness to age 5-6, or longer, for optimal safety). The Cosco Apex is also a great choice to consider.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

aimers
03-14-2006, 09:47 PM
Thank you so much Julie, I really appreciate it!

So eventhough the Recaro says it's good for up to 80 pds, in reality it just doesn't work when they get that big - right?

It seems that which ever way we go it will be about the same cost, it's just a matter of putting the money out now or gradually. I'd rather have the Recaro, so we're trying to make it work. My DH thought it was cool when I told him the Recaro's are the car seats they use on "Overhaulin" on TLC. :) The biggest thing is safety, but they look pretty cool too.

If we go with the Recaro, hopefully the timing will work out and my baby will be able to use it in a few years too.

Thanks again!:-)