PDA

View Full Version : Regent VS Booster w/ side impact protection?

postmodernmommy
03-22-2006, 05:49 PM
I know I just posted a long question but I have another one I'd like to add to the list:

Do you think it's more important to have your child in a 5 pt harness that DOESN'T have TSIP (true side impact protection) (such as the Husky or Regent) or have them in a high back/ belt positioning booster that DOES have TSIP?

Any thoughts? I guess that's one of my main issues I'm wrestling with before I make this next round of car seat pruchases.

Amy :)

momtoB
03-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Well I'm not a tech but I do think that having a child in a harness with or without TSIP is better than just a BPB, especially for a younger child who hasn't reached 40lbs yet. Every step "up" in car seats is a step down in safety. And actually the recommedations I have heard for *most* kids is closer to age Five before they are really ready to be in a BPB. Every child is different of course, so you have to be the best judge of what your child can handle.

I read your other post and searched the Carseat Database for anyone who has reported on what fit in their Echo but it's not working for me right now. Here's the link if you want to try: http://www.carseatdata.org/selectseat.asp#results

Also, my ds is 35 months, 38-1/2" tall (torso height about 15" currently) and he rides in a Britax Boulevard. I'm hoping to get at least couple more years out of it - but who knows! His shoulders are about 2-1/2" below the highest harness position. The Blvd is the same size as the Marathon and has TSIP. But for an older child that can't r/f any more, I think the Regent is a great choice, providing it will fit in your car of course.

Are there any stores near you that carry the Regent and will allow you to try the display model out in your car? I know TRU/BRU will, and some smaller local baby stores might as well. Just a thought.

hth!

ETA: I also wanted to mention that on another board I frequent one poster said she could fit a Regent in the back seat of a new model Mustang - and that really is a small back seat, so I would think it would work in an Echo too...

Scatterbunny
03-23-2006, 10:49 PM
I think a harness is safer than a booster, even one with true side impact protection. I have my 4y9mo, 46", 46# dd in a Fisher Price Futura with NO sidewings at all instead of the Britax Parkway with TSIP that we also own because I firmly believe a harness is safer.

The only thing I needed to be convinced of that was to see the crash test footage comparing a harnessed seat and a booster. They are 30 mph, frontal crash tests. Frontal crashes are the most common, but side impact crashes are the most deadly, and are the second-most common type of crash, not far behind frontal. While a booster might provide a good level of protection in frontal crashes, they provide less protection than a harness in side impact crashes. A harness just holds the body in place better.

When there are no other harnessing options to fit my dd I'll move her to a booster with TSIP, but until I can't harness her any longer, I will continue to do so. She uses the Parkway occasionally, usually when she rides in her friend's parents' vehicles, sometimes in her dad's truck, but she usually uses a Britax Laptop in the center of his truck (lapbelt-only).

I also posted in your other thread with some photos of the Husky in my vehicle, with my dd in it. :)

Joolsplus2
03-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Another vote here for proper harnessing over boostering with TSIP (especially for a younger kid, though my 8 yo still loves his Regent!)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

postmodernmommy
03-27-2006, 02:59 PM
"The only thing I needed to be convinced of that was to see the crash test footage comparing a harnessed seat and a booster. They are 30 mph, frontal crash tests. Frontal crashes are the most common, but side impact crashes are the most deadly, and are the second-most common type of crash, not far behind frontal. While a booster might provide a good level of protection in frontal crashes, they provide less protection than a harness in side impact crashes. A harness just holds the body in place better."

Wow. Was this a program you saw on TV or some research you had access to?

After my research on this board and other places I'm committed to keeping my DD in a 5pt harness for as long as possible. I just have to decide whether to get the BV or the Regent. Or one of each (have to buy for two cars).

Amy :)

Scatterbunny
03-27-2006, 06:11 PM
>"The only thing I needed to be convinced of that was to see
>the crash test footage comparing a harnessed seat and a
>booster. They are 30 mph, frontal crash tests. Frontal crashes
>are the most common, but side impact crashes are the most
>deadly, and are the second-most common type of crash, not far
>behind frontal. While a booster might provide a good level of
>protection in frontal crashes, they provide less protection
>than a harness in side impact crashes. A harness just holds
>the body in place better."

>Wow. Was this a program you saw on TV or some research you
>had access to?

Here's a 5 point harness video: http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/kisitest_2002/videos/test2002/frontcrash/maxicosipriori.mpg

And a booster video: http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/kisitest_2002/videos/test2002/frontcrash/maxicosirodi.mpg

The booster is similar to a Graco TurboBooster, which does not have TSIP. I've heard from friends (Julie?) who saw the Parkway's testing and said it was very impressive, but still prefer a harness.

postmodernmommy
03-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the links.
Do you know what speed the car was traveling when the crash footage was filmed? This is a frontal collision, yes?

Terrifying.

Amy

Scatterbunny
03-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Approximately 30 MPH, but they are European tests so the speed is in kilometers per hour, and I don't know exactly what that works out to be. Yes, they are frontal crash tests. The seats are the Maxi Cosi Priori (which was sold here in the US for awhile) and the Maxi Cosi Rodi (almost identical to the Graco TurboBooster).