PDA

View Full Version : Graco Platnium CarGo or Eddie Bauer High Back Booster?

dszeppel
03-24-2006, 04:03 PM
I think I have narrowed my choices down to either the Graco Platnium CarGo in Caviar or the Eddie Bauer High Back Booster. Does anybody have either one? What do you like and dislike about your choice. I have read conflicting comments and want to make sure I make the right decision. We currently have a Britax RA that my daughter still fits into but she really wants a "booster." Unfortunately, at 4 she's still too skinny and petite to use a booster with the seat belt. I want to find a car seat that will harness her until 40lbs and that will convert to a booster. I considered the Recaro but just can't justify the price. Are there any others that I am missing? I saw a few Evenflows, they just looked really flimsy and not very comfy. We are very spoiled by the comfort and ease of use of the Britax so I am looking for something similar. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Scatterbunny
03-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Steer clear of any Eddie Bauer/Safety 1st/Cosco seat except the Apex. All the others will have LOWER top harness slots than the Roundabout your dd is currently in. Most kids outgrow these seats around 2-3 years old and 30-35 pounds. It's possible your dd is already too tall for these seats (shoulders above top slots).

The only seats to recommend for tall, skinny kids who need extra height growing room to stay harnessed to at least 40 pounds are the Graco, Evenflo and Recaro combination seats. They have top slots about 17-17.5 inches tall, or comparable to the Britax Marathon, and 1.5+ inches taller than the Roundabout's top slots. The Apex's top slots are also about 17 inches tall (but it needs high vehicle seatbacks or headrests to safely be used to its limits).

Only the Evenflo Bolero and Generations and the Recaro Young Sport will make good long-term belt positioning boosters once the harness is outgrown, because these adjust taller in booster mode to accommodate kids to at least 4 feet 9 inches tall. The other Evenflo combos and the Graco combos do not adjust taller in booster mode, but make good harnessed seats.

The Graco and Recaro seats have EPS foam, the Evenflos do not.

momtoB
03-28-2006, 03:11 PM
I agree with everything that Scatterbunny said. You also might want to read the reviews of the carseats you are considering here:

http://www.carseatsite.com/recommended_car_seats.htm#Combination_Seats

The CarGo is listed which is why I point this site out. Like the pp said, I would just cross the Summit and any Cosco seat other than the Apex right off your list.

I also thought I read somewhere that there is one combo seat that doesn't work well as a bpb for slender kids because the shoulder belt is positioned too far out from the body ... but I'm having a difficult time remembering which seat that was...it was one of the ones that has closed belt loops like the CarGo or maybe the Evenflo Chase/Visions/Traditions? Can anyone else remember???

I just bought an Evenflo Bolero (aka Generations) for my tall & slender ds to use as a backup seat in MIL's car (she our dcp) and as a travel seat. I chose this one because of the fact that it becomes a great bpb later on and it will hopefully last us as long as needed. The current law in my state starting next year is that children have to be in boosters (or other appropriate seat) until they're 57" tall or 8 yrs old.

hth
Cheryl
ds-4/03 38-3/4", r/fing in a Britax Blvd currently in our car.