PDA

View Full Version : Portable (for the car) DVD Player

DagnyT
05-03-2006, 12:48 PM
We will be takng a road trip. I would like to purchase a portable DVD player. I do not care to have one in the car all of the time. Any suggestions, cautions, etc... as to features, good, bad, ugly, and great? I have a VW T'reg. I think I want dual screens (2 DSs) and a player that is not part of the screens (easier to reach/work with from driver's seat or front passenger seat).

Thanks!
DagnyT

momtoB
05-03-2006, 04:24 PM
You might check out cnet.com I did a search on "portable DVD players" and came up with these results:

http://tinyurl.com/retr9

Also I recently was at Target and they had some interesting choices. They had a couple of dual-screen units, one that you could actually play two different movies on at the same time (so each child can watch what they want). Both had detached screens that mount to the back of the headrest. My preference as it just seems a little more secure, like it won't go flying with a sudden stop (at least not the monitors, I don't know if the player part of it can be strapped down at all). I guess the "down side" of this type of player is that it would only be usable in the car, not on an airplane.

We have an old, old one that we just bought one of those travel bags that hangs from the back of the front seat, but it's bulky and hard to get too (read, nearly impossible) from the front seat.
I've seen some good deals at Costco too, if you're a member you might check there. Sorry I can't give you any specific recs. Have fun shopping !

ak_becky_book
05-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Since alot of DVD palyers break pretty quickly (like the first year). I would either get it at a place with a great return policy like Costco or with an extended warrenty (one that goes to a year).

For dual screens the best place seems to be Walmart (when I was looking to replace the one that had broken I looked into it). Just get some extended protection with it incase it kicks the bucket.

Good luck on your trip and your search.

Rebecca
Mom to Samantha
12/1/02

DagnyT
05-15-2006, 01:16 PM
Just bought an Insignia (division of LG) dual screen (7") from Best Buy. Picked this one b/c:

two screens
player detached from either screen (easiier for parent fumbling!)
will run on car charger or electricity
can attach video game (Vsmile in our case)- one child can watch a movie the other can platy the game- or both can play the game

We have done a "test run" all seems OK. Will repost afterour return!! We will travel in all about 2500 miles- via car.

Dag