PDA

View Full Version : Air Travel Car Seat Help

Mom2I
05-04-2006, 12:30 PM
I am flying by myself with my almost 3 year old DS - he'll be 3 in 3 weeks, he's skinny and tall - @31 lb and maybe 38/39 in? We have a Marathon for my car and a Triumph for DH, but both seem too heavy to fly with by myself. I looked at the Scenera but he'll outgrow it so quickly. I'm thinking about buying a Parkway, either here - or have family pick it up for when we arrive and only using it for the trip then setting it aside until later. I know harnessed is best and he is just within the limits for the Parkway, but can't really imagine lugging my big car seats plus all of our other gear. Is there some other option I am missing?

Thanks in advance for all of your help - you guys give great advice!

momtoB
05-04-2006, 06:21 PM
You could get a combo seat to travel with, harnesses to 40lbs and typically has higher top slots. We traveled with my ds's Evenflo Bolero last month and it worked ok on the plane. It's a bit wide & bulky but it did fit in a standard (coach) airplane seat. It's pretty light, but like I said a bit bulky. There are other seats that might work better for travel, we bought the Bolero because my ds is pretty tall and the harness slots are as tall as our Britax blvd so I'm hoping it will last him a while before having to convert it to a bpb. (ds tall & skinny, just turned three and just hit 30lbs).

Check out this site for some recommendations:
http://www.carseatsite.com/recommended_car_seats.htm#Combination_Seats

Or, if you're comfortable with not having him in a car seat on the plane (The FAA recommends children up to 40lbs be in a car seat, but it's not required) you might check out the Safeguard Go seat: http://www.safeguardseat.com/go/index.htm The car you put it in MUST have a top tether for this seat to work with though. It has nice high harness slots and harnesses to 60lbs. It's NOT FAA approved, but folds up nice and compact for travel. It's very lightweight too.

hth!

Cheryl
ds-4/21/03

ykc
05-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Keep in mind that your son's growth will slow down in the next couple of years. My daughter was about the same size at 3yo. At 4yo, I let her out of the harnessed seat because she was 38-39lbs (and very good about sitting back in the booster), but she didn't hit 40lbs until she was nearly 5yo. If your son keeps on his current growth curve, he probably won't hit 40lbs until he's nearly 5. So long as he doesn't have a really long torso, you may get nearly 2yrs worth out of a Scenera. And most harnessed seats can be used in the airplane too, if you can bear to lug it through the terminal....

If you're not planning on using your seat on the airplane anyway, especially if there is someone to drop you off/pick you up, then I'd just consider checking one of the carseats you already have in with your luggage.

momtoB
05-08-2006, 10:06 AM
My ds, who just turned three a couple of weeks ago, is almost 39" tall and outgrew his Scenera at about 34months. The Scenera top slots are about 14.5-15" tall, whereas the Bolero combo is 17.5-18" - about the same as the Marathon/DC/BV. (We also own a BV).

Just fyi! :-)

kelleybeth
05-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Since you already have a Marathon, I would recommend buying a set of the gogokidz wheels and flying with that. If you aren't familiar with them, they are wheels made for use with Britax carseats that attach directly to the car seat; you can then use the carseat like a stroller through the airport and buckle it into the airplane seat with the wheels still attached (you must remove the wheels before installing it in a car, however). They cost about $80 (search the web for "gogo kidz" -- lots of places sell them now, so you may find a better price), but I love them -- I have flown many times with my daughter using these, and they are so much easier than taking both a carseat and a stroller through the airport.

ppshah
05-27-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm in a similar situation. DS just turned 3 and is 31 lbs and 38 inches tall. We currently travel in the touriva- but when he outgrows that, I will likely get a Evenflo Bolero/Generations for travel. The Graco Cargo and Evenflo Chase are probably narrower/lighter than the Bolero but these don't make a good booster afterwards. Still, I would say you would get 2-3 years use out of them as harnessed seats.