PDA

View Full Version : Ford Explorer: Need to Fit Three Seats

MelissaT
05-06-2006, 09:25 PM
I currently have my 11 month old (23 pounds) in an Evenflo Triumph and my 27 month old (33 pounds) in a Britax Marathon. Baby #3 is due in July and will be in a Peg Perego Primo Viaggio. We have a Ford Explorer and I need to fit three seats across if possible. I hate the Evenflo seat and plan to replace it with a Britax. I'm looking for recommendations for a seat to replace the Evenflo seat. I've considered the Britax Marathon since it will stay with him until he is 65 pounds, but know that it is wider than the Roundabout.

Has anyone else been able to fit two convertible seats and one infant seat across the back seat of a Ford Explorer? What about three convertible seats since the baby will likely be out of the infant seat before the 27 month old is in a Booster.

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
05-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Oooh, toughie. The narrowest seats are the Sunshine Kids Radian, the Graco Ultra Cargo, the Cosco Scenera, and the Britax Roundabout. The Peg seat is pretty narrow, I hope you can get it to work (don't forget you MUST put the handle down on that seat when driving). www.carseatdata.org has a list of seats that have worked in various cars, and also seat measurements (but that can be deceptive, since seats don't all have the widest parts at the same places, they fit together more like puzzle pieces...but still, handy info to have...).
What year is your Explorer? If you have LATCH, sometimes installing the seat with LATCH vs seatbelt or vice versa can get an entirely different fit and that's worth playing with (though there's NO option of using LATCH in the center of that car, unfortunately).

I don't know if that's much help...hopefully you have a better baby store nearby that carries the Radian to try (it's a convertible like a Marathon, but has a much lower profile).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Joolsplus2
05-08-2006, 08:39 AM
PS, if the Peg doesn't fit, you might be wise to find an infant seat that can be installed without the base easily, like a Graco or Combi (and those have the added bonus you can leave the handle up when driving..).... I have to get three across in my Ford Escape sometimes, and it's not that hard or time consuming to quickly install a baseless infant seat once you have some practice at it...the Combi Centre is really narrow...).

MelissaT
05-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Thank you so much for the assistance! It is a 2003 Explorer. We have a third row seat, so I can always consider putting my 2 1/2 year old in that seat if necessary.

What do you think of the Combi Centre? And what is the difference in the three Combi Centre that they show on their site (EX, DX, ST)?

What do you think of the Britax Companion®? It is rated highly by Consumer Reports and can be installed without a base. Do you know if it is narrow? I would certainly consider not using a base and just using a seat belt.

Also, I think that for the 11 month old I'll get a Roundabout. I expect that before he is 40 pounds the oldest will be in a Booster or we'll get a new car.

Thanks!
Melissa

Joolsplus2
05-08-2006, 10:41 AM
I think I have the Centre DX, which has a sliding headrest, so no rethreading of the harness (I think the ST has to be rethreaded...that might actually make the seat *lighter* and not be a bad thing) otherwise they are all the same...I think. The Companion is pretty bulky (yes, I have one too...I have 5 seats for one kiddo...it's a long story, lol). It has to have the handle put down, too (Not like this is some huge dealbreaker, but I do want to mention it, since I know getting three kids in a car should be as simple as possible!), and it installs fine without the base BUT the cover goes over the belt tabs, so you have to peel it back to get to them (same thing with the Chicco Key Fit...I LOVE that seat, but if you use it baseless, you have to peel back the cover... at least you can leave the handle up, lol).
You might even give the Graco Safe Seat 1 a go, because if you find it works, then you'll have your ideal three-across situation set up for a much longer time than any other infant seat (and yes, handle is ok UP, belt clips are obvious).
With such young kiddos, there could be good and bad to three-across and 'one in the way back'... hopefully they are all angels and can be trusted to sit next to each other without poking any eyes out, because putting one in the third row might be kind of a pain ;)

lrgeller
05-15-2006, 01:59 PM
FYI, I tried a RA and Graco infant seat and the Graco Turbo (not the super turbo, or whatever it's called) in the back of my Toyota Highlander and it didn't work. I'm considering the Britax booster -- it seems narrower and has no handles.