PDA

View Full Version : Which car seats should I consider?

mommyto4
05-09-2006, 11:26 AM
I have two granchildren. Trevor is 25 mo., weighs 23 lbs., and is 31 in. tall. Katie is 13 mo., weighs 17 lbs., and is 27 in. tall. Both are still rear facing. Katie is about to outgrow her infant seat. I'm looking for one seat that will work well for both children. I never have both of them at the same time. I have a Roundabout right now, but Trevor is in the middle slots for harness height and Katie is still in the lowest slots. So, I need something that is easier to adjust the harness height on. The Boulevard is way out of my price range right now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Melinda-----mommy to Sarah, Kaylee, Jayci, & Davis
------------grammy to Trevor, & Katie

momtoB
05-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Are you planning on not using the RA any more? Why not buy a Scenera 5-pt ($40-50) for Katie and keep the RA for Trevor? That way you won't have to adjust the straps at all? The only other seat I can think of that has straps that are easily adjusted are the Cosco/EB 3-in-1's however you could buy TWO Scenera's for the price of one of those. The 3-in-1's don't make great boosters either.

mommyto4
05-09-2006, 01:43 PM
The Roundabout will be expiring in about 6 months. It was actually bought for my youngest son when he was 6 or 7 months old. He is going to be 6 years old this month. So, it is about 5 1/2 years old. I have used it for Trevor and Katie was in an infant seat. Now that she is almost to big for the infant seat,I need to find something else. I would have had to anyway in a few months when the Roundabout expires. Thanks for the idea though.
Melinda

tjham
05-10-2006, 12:37 PM
If you don't want to get 2 separate seats, adjusting the harness on the Scenera is "doable" and easier than doing it on the Roundabout, especially since both kids are still rear facing. Just unhook one strap at a time, rethread and rehook so the whole thing doesn't fall down. If you use two seats, you may have to take one out and put the other in each time, so it sounds like either way, you have some adjusting to do. It just depends on which "adjusting" is easier and can be done correctly "every" time!

The AO does adjust easier. The top usable slots are 15" and it is pricy ($150 or so)though not as much as the BV. RA top slot is 15.5. It sounds like Trevor is at the 12.5 slots in the RA so the AO would last awhile, just not as long as they make it sound, and it's not a good booster. It does RF to 35 lbs.

kellyotn
05-10-2006, 01:02 PM
I think I'd just get a Scenera and see if you can adjust it w/o uninstalling it. (I've only used mine FF, so I don't know!)

Two would be good also, but re-installing them all the time would get old. They are incredibly light though and its not too hard really.

If you get them on sale, they can be had for $39, great deal. Keep an eye at Walmart, Target and Kmart and you'll probably find them on sale somewhere! ;)

There's a cheaper AO called the AO Sport, does it adjust w/o slots? I hear its a nice, basic seat. (Doesn't have the awkward base that the regular one has.) Its less expensive than the regular AO. Worth a look if it has easy adjustments, I'm just not sure.

Naomi S
05-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Hi Melinda,

We used the Evenflo Triumph seats for our triplets. They are rated very highly by Consumer Reports (and Toddler Bargains!). They also have many of the same features as the Britax seats.

The Triumph seats are simple to adjust the harness height. All you do is pull the padding down (it's velcroed in place), squeeze two clips together, and you can slide the harness adjust up or down. Then pull the straps through the correct slots in the padding/seat cover and you're set. Less than 30 seconds, no installing/uninstalling the seats.

HTH,

mommyto4
05-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I will check out the Scenera and the Triumph soon and see what works best for me.
Melinda