PDA

View Full Version : Old enough for a booster?

Bens Momma
05-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Hi Everyone!
My son is 2 years 9 mos old, 40 lbs and 39.5 " tall. He is currently in a Britax Marathon, but DS #2 is outgrowing his Snugride carrier and we would like to move him into the Marathon. What is the best (and most economical) for my older son, a booster seat or another convertable? Is he old enough big enough for a booster? If so which one? Before we purchased the Marathon we had tons of time to research and shop around but this is no longer the case with 2 little guys under age 3--YIKES!!
Thanks for your help and advice, this site has been so great in helping us find the best "stuff" and advice for raising our kids!!
Ben & Will's Momma

Aunt to sweet baby boy
05-24-2006, 10:44 AM
If you have the room a Regent would be great for your older son. In a backseat with the MA however it may make the backseat just for the two carseats.

You could get the baby a Cosco Serena. RF to 35 lbs, FF to 40 lbs, about $40-50 at walmart, target.

What slot of the MA is your son on? It is not reccomended for children to use boosters until they are at least 4 years old, hopefully 5. A booster just puts the child in the proper position for the seatbelt, so a young child may move and not sit properly. Most young children need the 5 pt harness rather than just a belt.

HTH

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/060403/hfNw.jpg[/img]http://b2.lilypie.com/h2bbm7/.png[/img][/url]

momtoB
05-24-2006, 12:05 PM
If the Regent is too expensive another option for your older ds is a Cosco Apex: http://www.epinions.com/Cosco_Apex_65_22531

Harnesses to 65lbs and then converts to a BPB up to 100lbs. One thing about this seat the headrest on the seat is not reinforced so it must have a vehicle seatback/headrest behind it. This seat costs about $130.

Your other more economical option would be to buy the baby a Cosco Scenera 5-pt seat for approx $40-50 (Walmart/Kmart/Target) and keep your older ds in the Marathon. The Scenera r/f's to 35lbs, f/f's to 40lbs and would hopefully last your older dc is old enough to be in a booster seat, at which point you could move the younger dc into the Marathon (assuming it's not expired by then - you'd want to check your dates on that seat now just to make sure).

Your older ds should really still be harnessed for a while. The recommendation is at least 4yrs old and at least 40lbs before moving into a BPB. Most kids kids under 4yrs old are not mature enough to stay properly seated behind a 3-point vehicle seatbelt in a bpb. This could cause them to be ejected from the seat and seriously injured or killed in an accident. It's really best to keep kids harnessed as long as possible.

hth,
Cheryl
ds-4/03 (still r/fing in a Britax Blvd)

mommyto4
05-24-2006, 02:34 PM
I think that, if money and space is not a big issue, the Regent would be a great choice. It would keep your older child harnessed for a long time. I own two Husky/Regents. My 6 and 7 1/2 year old children use them. We love them. They are really big though.
Melinda---mommy to Sarah, Kaylee, Jayci, & Davis
----------grammy to Trevor & Katie

kijip
05-24-2006, 02:40 PM
If I were in your situation, with that age separation, I would just buy another Marathon. The Marathon can be used until ages 4-6 for most kids and then you can get cheap boosters after the Marathon is outgrown. Another option is the Husky/Regent but it is not as comfy for 2-4 year olds as the Marathon by any margin.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
05-24-2006, 09:52 PM
since he's practically 40" already, I'd go ahead and get the Regent. No way would I want to put him in a booster.

Kat

Bens Momma
05-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the great info and advice everyone!! I think DH and I have decided to get a second Marathon. I looked at the Regent online and it didn't look as comfy as the Marathon which is what you said in your post. We also figured that although the price of the Cosco was great, it wouldn't last long at the rate that the baby is growing and we would be in the same boat looking for another seat in a few months (and DS still wouldn't be old enough for a booster.) Besides, we want to keep them both in 5 pt harness as long as possible. DS is on the 3rd slot on his Marathon so he still has room to grow and it has been a great seat (safe, EASY to use, comfy). What is the difference between the Marathon and the Decathalon?

Thanks again for the advice!
Ben & Will's Momma

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
05-25-2006, 11:21 PM
the difference is the extra padding.... and the harness adjuster, which looks like the roundabouts, has the push-button, but acts like the Marathon's ratchet harness adjuster.

Oh, and the Decathalon has a horrible ff lockoff... we don't know why they put a different one on there because we love the one on the Marathon.

If you're going to go with a second Marathon, I'd get the Boulevard instead.... it has True Side Impact Protection wings, extra body support for smaller toddlers, and has the knob adjustment for height like the Wizard did.... the wings are noticeably wider, though.

Kat

mommyto4
05-26-2006, 09:32 AM
After reading all of these comments, I still feel that the Regent would be best. It costs about the same as the Marathon but you would get alot more use out of the Regent. And you would be able to keep your son harnessed much longer than in a Marathon. This is just my opinion though and both are great seats. So, you can't lose either way.
Melinda

kellyotn
05-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Another factor is that the current MA will likely expire when the youngest is still able to fit into it. (Its probably currently three years old, so only three years left).

So, at that point, the oldest gets a new seat and the youngest gets the newer MA and the older MA is taken out of commision.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
05-26-2006, 10:36 AM
see, that, along with price, was exactly what I was thinking when I said I'd go for the Regent.

Kat

kellyotn
05-26-2006, 11:11 AM
So, what's the then-3-year-old youngest kid in then? He'll need a new seat then b/c the old MA is expired.

If it were me, I'd get a second MA to have for the youngest when the old MA expires. Then, get a Regent for the then-6-year-old oldest that both will end up using. Or, heck, a fun new high weight option might be out then. ;)

Both options are good. In three years someone needs a new seat, either way. Just a matter of preference. I'd rather keep the oldest in an MA now (slightly more comfy for a younger kid). And, the future Regent will also have a the lifespan to get used with the youngest too whereas a new one now might not.

If it was just one child at this age and weight, I'd suggest a Regent all the way. But, with this situation which includes the pass-down factor, MY choice would be another MA. ;)

(edited for typo)