PDA

View Full Version : Booster for average weight but over 100% height?

Boosmom1
05-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi,

My DD is 31 months, average weight (31 lbs), but over 100 percentile in height - at 2-yr check up. She is in a Britax Roundabout. We love it, but she seems to be growing out of it lengthwise. Esp b/c our Mazda MPV (w/side impact airbags in case that makes a diff in your recommendations) has a short space between rows. The Marathon will not fit in our van. When my long-legged husband sits in the seat in front of her she seems to have very little room. Also, it is getting very difficult to lift her into her seat without bumping her head on the door frame or roof. So, does leg room matter in deciding to move to a booster seat? My first concern is safety, then comfort. Is there a booster seat as safe as her convertible seat? Also weighing in our decision to get a booster now is the need to have a second seat for our second car - a Camry. What should I look for in a new booster seat? Thanks!

Boosmom1

mommyto4
05-30-2006, 04:19 PM
If your car has high seat backs, you could check out the Cosco Apex. It harnesses to 65 lbs and has high top slots. It also sits low in the seat (making it easier for a child to climb into herself. The Britax Regent might also work because it also sits low (has no base under the seat). There are other seats that sit low, but I can't think of the names of them right now. Maybe someone else will chime in for some other suggestions. I would not recommend a booster seat. She is way to young and only 31 lbs. I hope this helps you a little bit.
---Melinda---mommy to Sarah, Kaylee, Jayci, & Davis
-------------grammy to Trevor & Katie

Joolsplus2
05-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Are her legs not long enough to rest on the front of the seat cushion her seat is installed on? Things will get better when she's tall enough for her feet to use the vehicle seat as a footrest. Another low, slim choice that might work is the Sunshine Kids Radian...it has quite tall top slots, my 6.5 yo dd outgrew the Marathon a few months ago, but still has a little growing room in the Radian.

Any *harnessed* seat is as safe as any other, but a booster (with the lap/shoulderbelt only) is NOT as safe as a 5-pt harness (so if an Apex/Alpha Elite or Graco Cargo or Evenflo Generations, which are 'combination seats' are what you go for, they are just as safe as a Marathon or Radian or Roundabout, which are 'convertibles'. The Graco SafeSeat 2 is another decent choice, comfy with tall top slots.

She's a big girl, you'd definitely get the most use out of a Britax Regent, I think (my regular sized 8 yo has a LOT of growing room in it, lol).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Boosmom1
05-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Melinda and Julie,

Thank you! I will check out the Apex and the Radian -- I've never heard of the Radian so it will be fun to check out something new. I like the idea of the Regent, but I think it may be too big for the van. Our Roundabout takes up the whole seat -- there is no seat left over for DD to rest her legs. I also saw someone mention the Safeguard Go (It may have been you, Julie?), and the concept is very appealing. I couldn't find out much about it, so I am going to post a separate thread to see if anyone has any info on it or experience with it.

Again, thanks so much!

Boosmom1

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
06-04-2006, 03:46 PM
well, since she's not heavy, but does have a lot of height, then I'd go with either the Recaro Youngsport, which has 18" top slots, harnesses to 40lbs and then becomes an AWESOME booster, or the Safeguard Childseat, which is an amazing seat, harnesses to 65lbs, has top slots equal to that of the Regent (though there is no rethreading... like the Boulevard or Wizard) it sits lower, so should give more leg room.

this is an album showing a girl and boy each in the safeguard and lots of other details about it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39555873@N00/77730914/in/set-927718/

HTH

Kat