PDA

View Full Version : To soon to switch to a Booster?

leslieu
06-07-2006, 03:20 AM
I'm considering getting Britax Parkway for DS, who practically has out grown the Roundabout (because a Marathon doesn't fit) in our second vehicle. The Roundabout is in DH vehicle and is only used on weekends and on the occasional Daddy and Son outing. DS is 28 months, 36 lbs and 38.5 inches tall. The only concern I have is that DS is too young to sit in a booster. When we went to BRU to try out boosters (Graco TurboBooster & Britax Parkway) DS moved the seat belt under his pits. Which makes me think he could easily wiggle out of the booster. Scary thought!

We have a Marathon in the Mommy-Mobile, which is used daily. I've also considered the Regent, but if the Marathon doesn't fit. I'm not sure the Regent will either. I'm also a afraid that DS will not like to "car seat" once he starts Preschool (this September), seeing that the other children have boosters. Which would mean I'd have to buy yet another car seat/ booster.

I'm in hopes of just having to buy one more car seat/booster until DS no longer needs one.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated,
Leslie

PS
I have red "Old enough for a booster?"
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=44&topic_id=3329&mode=full&page=

Joolsplus2
06-07-2006, 07:30 AM
Not only is he too young, but a booster would considerably increase his head injury risk. What car do you have? In what way does the Marathon not fit? I've never met a car I couldn't get a Regent into ;). How about the Cosco Apex/Alpha Elite (if that car has headrests). If all his friends wanted to jump off a bridge, would you let him? (ie, who the heck cares how dangerously his friends are riding, you tell him he's safest, and talk about it all the time...my 8.5 yo LOVES his Husky and willingly takes boosters in cars where his friends are without them and put the shoulderbelt behind their backs.
Sorry, I know being harnessed/boostered a long time (harnessed to age 5-6, boostered to age 8-12)is a new idea for us old folks, but we know better now, and peer pressure is no excuse to endanger our kids' lives (car crashes are THE number one cause of death and injury :( )

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kellyotn
06-07-2006, 07:44 AM
What kind of car is it? I'd think if an RA fit, an MA would also. I've never had an RA, but they just look shorter than an MA to me.

Four really is considered the minimum for boostering. Under that age, they just aren't mature enough to sit properly. You'd constantly be checking on them and pestering them to sit up, don't mess with the belt, etc. It would be very aggravating and very stressful. ;)

At 36 lbs, the main combo boosters are pretty much out because the only harness until 40 lbs, and that won't get you to four years old.

The Sunshine Kids Radian is a nice seat. VERY narrow and tall. Harnesses to 65 lbs. Its a bit taller than the MA. It also doesn't look babyish. Its very high quality, on par with Britax. Its a convertible seat, so it cannot become a booster. Has some installation issues in certain cars though, but it would be a top choice to try in your situation. I think a lot of the problems can be overcome with a locking clip. So, if you don't need to move the seat a lot, it'd be fine.

The Cosco Apex is a combo harness/booster. It harnesses to 65, but its as large as a Regent, so I'm not sure it would work. It also requires a higher seatback as its headrest isn't structural and must be supported by the vehicle.

However, I've seen picture of a Regent installed in tiny Toyotas and Hondas....

The Safegaurd GO is an interesting seat. It harnesses to 60, then becomes a booster. Its VERY light weight, and pretty narrow. Has a removable headrest. It installs easiest with LATCH, but can be used with a seat belt. It REQUIRES a top tether as the seat back is floppy. It also must have a higher seat back. Its really sporty looking. Looks race-car like to me.

Amazon has been clearancing some MA's in University covers.... (I'm currently awaiting FedEx to bring me a purple K-State seat!)

Let us know what kind of car the seat is going in, and I'm sure someone can help! :)

momtoB
06-07-2006, 09:05 AM
I agree w/the pp's.

The Safeguard Go might work if nothing else will fit (as long as your headrests are tall enough and the car has a top tether anchor).

Here's a review of it if you haven't already seen it:
http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=5970

hth and GL.

leslieu
06-07-2006, 09:52 PM
The Roundabout is in a 2004 - 1500 Dodge Ram Crew cab.
When we installed the Marathon in the Dodge Ram to try it out,DS was about 19 months and it was a tight squeeze then. As it is, we have to move the front seat up, so that DS' keens won't be right against the back of the seat. (Moving the seat up isn't really a big deal because I'm only 5'4" and I still have plenty of room even with the seat pulled forward.) The problem we have isn't that the Marathon wouldn't physically fit in the back seat. It fits, it's just that Marathon is deeper than the Roundabout, therefore giving no leg room for DS.

I did do some research on the car seats that you guys mentioned. I looked at car seats depth and it looks like the Regent will work just fine. I'll have to BRU to try it out.

Marathon 25" deep
Roundabout 23 1/2" deep
Regent 22" deep
SafeGraud GO ? (looks cool, space age)

Thanks for all the help!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34032.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34033.jpg

kellyotn
06-07-2006, 10:11 PM
The Regent probably does sit more "flush" to the backseat. I hadn't thought of that. :) The GO would be REALLY flush.

BRU doesn't carry the Regent, I don't think. Try USA Baby or Right Start. Also, if you order from Target.com you can return it to the store if you can't find one at all locally.

A Regent would be great, and last for a LOOONG time. No more seat decisions for years! ;)

mommyto4
06-08-2006, 12:26 AM
I own two Husky/Regents and I think that they would fit fine. They sit further back and also lower in the seat (there is no base on them like there is on the roundabout). I also own a Roundabout. If I get a chance tommorow, I will try putting the husky and roundabout side by side in my car and see how much of a difference there is. I'll let you know what I find out.
Melinda---mom to Sarah, Kaylee, Jayci, & Davis
----------grammy to Trevor & Katie

mommyto4
06-10-2006, 12:23 AM
I put the Roundabout and Husky side by side and found that the Husky sits about 6 inches lower than the Roundabout, but it also stickes out about 6 inches further(at the lowest point) than the Roundabout. However, the point where it stick out further(the bottom of the seat) is low, so it seems like the childs legs would be low enough so that he/she would not feel scrunched. My sister has a truck that looks similar to yours. I will see her tomorrow and try my Husky in the back seat of her truck and let you know how it fits. I hope all of this makes sense. If I could figure out how to download pictures from my digital camera to my computer, I could attach some photos so you could see what you think.
Melinda