PDA

View Full Version : New Nania?

meadorwj
06-21-2006, 02:02 AM
Hello,
I've been searching for a new seat for my son. He will be 4 August 31st. 40", 36-37lbs, with a 14" torso height. He's currently in an Evenflo Victory.. I think that's it. The oshkosh cover one. Anyway, I noticed a few months ago that he's about to grow out of this thing any minute. Since then he's grown two inches.. all in his legs, which has bought me a bit more time. He just doesn't seem comfortable in it anymore. His head falls every time he sleeps in the car now.. which is several times a week. The straps are also looking a little worse for wear.. and I don't want to buy new straps since I really think he needs a new seat. I was going to try to wait until he turned 4, then get him a booster, but we're going on a road trip this summer and I want him to be comfortable and safe. I'm just not sure if he's ready for a booster. He really enjoys being in his carseat.
I've come across the Nania Airway which seems to fit the bill.. but has been discontinued. Are there any other seats out there like this.. not too expensive, harness to 50-60lbs and convert to a high back booster? Besides the Apex, I really didn't like that seat. Is Nania coming out with a new seat this year or is that just a rumor? I don't think I want to buy a britax if he's going to grow out of it in a year and we have decided against the Regent. I drive a 2003 hyundai elantra right now. Can anybody help me? I need to make a decision soon. sorry so long.
Wendy

kellyotn
06-21-2006, 07:56 AM
I don't think they ever really did come back. They were pretty poorly reviewed the first time around too.

He is still under 40 lbs, so an Evenflo Generations/Bolero could still be used harnessed, and it makes a nice booster. Maybe those 3-4 lbs will take awhile? ;)

With a 14" torso height, he'd have over 3" of torso growth in a Marathon. That's a LOT! It should last him at least a couple years. If there is a baby to pass it down to, that would be a great option....

The FP Safe Voyage EX is bascially a watered-down Marathon, its made by Britax with a few less bells and whistles.

Also, the Sunshine Kids Radian? Narrow, harnesses to 65, a bit taller than the Britaxes.

meadorwj
06-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Thank you very much for your reply. I know I'm just being way too picky.
I didn't like the Generations/Bolero, thought it was too flimsy and black. My son wasn't too impressed with it either when we tried it out several months ago. I am hesitant to put him in a seat with a 40lb limit anyway, because of his growth pattern. He's just grown a few inches and now he should put on a few pounds.

I know the Marathon would probably be my best bet. I'm just kicking myself for not buying it sooner. I do have a two year old it can be passed down to once she grows out of her Roundabout. My son did like the Marathon when we tried it in the store, but he absolutely loved the Boulevard. I'm wondering if it would be worth the extra cost.

I am actually interested in the Fisher Price seat, but I can only find it in that awful "circus dot" pattern. The Fisher Price web site has a picture of it in red and black. That would be ideal. I guess I need to keep shopping around.. and if I can't find it, I'll just go get a Marathon.
Thank you again for your input.

kellyotn
06-21-2006, 09:32 PM
I hate FP's circle pattern too!! :)

I think if your son liked the Blvd AND you have a younger child, I'd go that route. The side impact protection is great. It'll get "used up" with the 2 kids, 6 years of use - bargain, right? ;)

I was hesitant to recommend a big Britax for an older child, but knowing the "pass down" thing will work, its totally how I'd go.

I actually just bought my 3.5 year old another MA when she got too tall for the (older) Fisher Price seat, then the Scenera we had in my husband's truck. I don't even have a pass down factor, as we now have three MA's, so when my oldest outgrows them, the youngest can use two of them, so the third will be out of commision.

They were on sale at amazon, and after going back and forth for a few months, I just jumped on a deal on a seat I already knew and loved. She too was too close to 40 for the Evenflo, the Apex wouldn't work in the vehicle, I just wasn't ready for a Regent (plus I hate the covers), so I was thrilled to get the MA and will be happy even if I only get a couple years out of it.

mommyto4
06-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Albee Baby has the Boulevard on sale for $239.99. I'm not sure if it is for all patterns or only certain ones. But, for a $60.00 savings it is something worth checking out.
---Melinda---mom to Sarah, Kaylee, Jayci, & Davis
-------------grammy to Trevor, & Katie