PDA

View Full Version : flying/traveling w/booster & checking them on flights

postmodernmommy
07-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Hi!
This is cross-posted on the baby boards as well. :)

We're committed Regent users but simply can't travel with that seat for obvious reasons. Soon we're taking a big trip over a three week span that will involve flying, taxi cabs, rental cars and one long road trip. Can a booster, specifically a Recaro Young Style or a Britax Parkway stand up to the rigors of being checked through baggage? The TSIP headrest & torso foam seem like they could break if they went through the whole baggage process. And quite frankly the few car seat "covers" or bags that we have would only seem to protect them from the elements but not actually protect their structual integrity.

Has anyone checked either of these boosters through baggage? And what have been your results? Or should I carry it through the airport & "gate check" them?

We own the Recaro for "back up" situations (just like this one!) and have a Parkway from a friend who didn't need one so I really don't wish to buy something for this trip unless I have to.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!
Amy
mommy to DD age 4 yrs 2 months, 39" 38.5 lbs

PS we have an old RA that she outgrew, otherwise we'd just dig that out for the trip.

momtoB
07-12-2006, 04:02 PM
What about wrapping a small comforter or blanket around it before stuffing it in the bag and checking it? Other than buying yet another car seat (i.e. one that the back comes off of would be ideal for travel as you could check the back w/your luggage and carry on the bottom) I'm not sure what else to suggest!

hth!

postmodernmommy
07-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Ok, this is definitely overkill but we ended up ordering the new Compass B510 folding booster (in "giraffe" pattern) and will use that as our travel booster since we do a lot of travel. Most likely it will end up at the Grandparent's house and we'll keep it there. It turns out a friend will need to borrow the Parkway for company in town while we're gone and there's no way I'm checking the Recaro Young Style booster that we have as DD's extra seat, I've just had horrendous luck over the years with baggage handlers damaging our car seats. I'm kinda paranoid. So I guess this solves the travel booster dilema. I like the new B510 model, it has deeper head wings on it than previous models. Not sure I would use it full time but as a folding booster I think it will do.

I had thought about wrapping the towel around it- or using LOTS of packing materials! LOL! :)

Amy :)

Joolsplus2
07-13-2006, 09:35 AM
oh cool... be sure to tell us how it works out!!!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx