PDA

View Full Version : Marathon or Regent

lukesmom1
07-30-2006, 11:49 AM
I have a 3 yr old son who weighs 41 pds and is 41" tall. I loved the Roundabout, but he is too big for it now. I bought him the Britax Parkway booster seat but didn't like it at all. It felt too flimsy for him. My husband and I decided that we wanted to wait a good while before using a booster again.
So, my question is----should I get a Marathon (only problem is that he may outgrow it in height) or the Regent?

Has anyone here used the Regent? I just heard about it today for the first time via my internet research. It sounds pretty good, but I'd love some feedback from users.

Thanks.

**Forgot to mention that I have a 4 dr Honda Accord and
baby #2 (due in early October) will be in a Graco Snugride.

mommyto4
07-30-2006, 01:42 PM
We have two Regents & we love them. They are really big though. With a Regent and another car seat in the back seat, there would not be room for anyone else to sit in the back seat. That's not a problem for me but some people want to sit in the back with the baby. It would keep your son harnessed fot a long time. My 9 1/4 year old is 54 inches tall and weighs 78 pounds and she still fits in it. I think that it would be a great seat for you. However, you could also get a Marathon for him now, he should get at least 2 years use out of it, then pass it down to the baby and get another seat for him at that time. Either way, I don't think you would be disappointed. I hope this helps.

twodogsandababy
07-30-2006, 08:22 PM
FYI, my daughter outgrew the Roundabout for height and weight before she was three. I bought Marathons, and she is about to outgrow them for height just over a year later. Don't count on getting multiple years of use from it! You may, or may not.

opalslore
07-31-2006, 10:35 AM
We are in a similar position, though our son is just 30# and 37" and celebrating his forth birthday this week, he is outgrowing his Roundabout which he has used for nearly 4yrs, since he graduated from his Graco snugride @ 3.5 months due to length. I've done a lot of research this last week. After my online research, I had pretty much decided on the Regent. I contacted Britax with a few questions and also to see what they might reccommend and they suggested comparing the Boulevard and the Marathon, but said that the Regent might not be the best fit for him. I found a local store that had all three in stock. After trying our son out in the Britax Regent, Boulevard and Marathon and testing the fit of both the Boulevard and the Regent in our car (a Nissan Murano), we ordered the Boulevard online for just $240 (gasp) b/c the blue "mosaic" pattern was discounted by $60. Not a bargain, but I feel confident with the decision. Upon trying each of them, it is apparent that, even at 4yrs, our son is still small enough that he needs the support offered by the Boulevard. I would urge you to look into the Boulevard... it is not unlike the Marathon, but seems slightly larger. The Regent would have worked, but didn't have the side-impact and head supports that the Boulevard offers - though, of course it meets Britax' stringent safety standards. These head supports are enhanced side impact head supports, though they look, and feel, rather like contoured pillows or nicely padded head supports and this feature was attractive to us safety wise - which is why anyone shells out the cash for a Britax, right - but also because my son will still nod off in the car, especially during longer commutes. The disadvantage to this is that it may restrict his side view, but he sits so much higher in this seat than in the Roundabout, he can finally see out the front. One other advantage to the Boulevard was the easy and custom height adjustment dial. There is a dial feature on the back of the seat, easily accessible from the side and top, that raises the shoulder straps and headrest to perfectly accomodate the child. Our son is rather slight, and the 2" gap between the shoulder harness slots on the Regent seemed vast once we strapped him in. Though, in the Regent there was PLENTY of room to grow, and it, too was a comfortable seat. Were my son a bit stockier, we may have gone with the Regent. The Regent also has small net side pockets sewn on to accomodate a cup or toys or a book. Alas, the Boulevard we chose has none. One more thing to consider is that the Regent is not only a large seat, it is rather heavy to transfer between vehicles. Finally, it does not fit on an airplane, whereas the Boulevard we chose does. I hope this has been helpful. Good luck.

momtoB
08-02-2006, 02:42 PM
I have a Boulevard and love it however since your 3yr old is already over 40lbs the Regent might be a better fit for you. The tops slots are also 2-3 higher than the MA/BV's so it will definitely last longer. (Fwiw, my ds who is almost 40", prbly has 1-1/2" left in his BV and he's only 3yrs 3mos old). The Regent gets rave reviews from just about everyone that owns one so I really don't think you can go wrong. The downside of this seat is it is not airline approved and it's big, so make sure you try it out for fit in your car before buying it.

hth.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
08-03-2006, 07:15 AM
I would definitely get the Regent, as long as you have top tether anchors, and put each seat outboard.

You will never be able to have anyone else in the back, but the Marathon just wouldn't last him as long and at that size, he'll be more comfortable in the Regent (longer belt stalk, sits lower for climbing into... he'll be buckling himself by age 4.5 in that thing)

I also have two Regents and they are the best.