PDA

View Full Version : Parkway vs Compass or other booster?

vetmommy
08-01-2006, 02:36 PM
I am beginning to shop for a booster for my 5yr old DS (42#, 43") to use in DH's 1994 Accord. It will have to go outboard, and the seatbelts do not lock (ELR only). DS would only ride in this car 2-3x a month, and DH would like to be able to store the booster in the trunk if he needs to carry adults in his car. My original thought was the Parkway, then I read about the Compass B510 and the fold-up feature is tempting.

Has anyone used or seen both of these IRL? How do you think they would compare for side-impacts? I really don't like putting DS outboard in such a small car (I drive a minivan), but our only other options (keeping a convertible seat in the Accord for 3yr old DD or moving DS's MA) haven't worked - it's a pain to install seats in this car, and a convertible makes adults in the back seat very cramped.

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

momtoB
08-02-2006, 02:29 PM
I can't really answer your question but I am always looking at car seats (even though my ds will still be in his Boulevard for hopefully quite a while). I guess I'm just a car seat geek, lol. I think the Compass looks pretty cool. I was looking at their website and they have two models sold in the US. The B510 has deeper head wings. See here: http://www.compassbaby.com/product_B510.html which looks more comparable to the Britax seats.

Britax boasts that they do Side Impact Testing. This is what their site says about TSIP: True Side Impact Protection

Severe frontal crashes are the deadliest type of crash. All restraints certified for sale in the USA are tested in frontal crashes. Side impacts are the second deadliest type of crash to children in child restraints. The reinforced headrest is lined with EPS foam to absorb energy in side and rear impacts. Its design cradles the head to keep it away from protruding parts and minimize and cushion violent side to side movements.

Now the Turbo Booster and the Compass also boast they have EPS foam headwings and the seats offer SIP. I think the difference is that they are not as rigorously tested as the Britax seats but I bet they would offer the same amt of protection. That is jmho of course.

Hopefully a cpst will be able to shed some more light on this for us. :-)

postmodernmommy
08-05-2006, 01:35 PM
We have our child in a Regent as her primary seat. However, we use a booster when we travel, haul around another kiddo, ride in grandma's car, etc. We just bought the new Compass B510 for an upcoming extended trip where we needed a travel booster.

I have a Recaro Young Style booster (LOVE IT- our fave!) and a Parkway and I was a little nervous to check either of them, it seems like the TSIP head foam on the Pakrway might break during the baggage handling process. I've had HORRIBLE experience witht the airlines breaking my car seats over the years so I now prefer to own one to use just as a "travel seat" so our primary seats can't get broken.

Anyway, the new Compass is a nice seat. It folds in half for storage. There is a carrying case that you can order seperately, mine is backordered. I'm hoping I'll be able to bring it onboard as a carry-on and not have to check it. The new B510 does have deeper side impact wings than previous models but they're not as deep as the Parkway or the Style. So if you're using it as a primary seat keep that in mind. If it's really just a few times per month than it might not be such an issue. Plus I like how the Parkway & Style also have TSIP foam in the torso area of the seat & not just the head area. Also, the Parkway & Style both have small adjustments you can make to them to properly fit the backseat of your car. I don't think the B510 adjusts like that. HOWEVER, I know that elitecarseats.com also has the new B510 Premier that comes with a headrest that tilts AND a carrying case. To be honest I was confused whether the regular B510's headrest tilts or not. My daughter likes the flip-up armrests of the Compass B510.

If you want the folding-up feature of the Compass I'd go with that one. If TSIP is more of a priority than go with the Recaro or the Style.

Hope this helps!

Amy :)
DD 4 years 3 months, 39" 37 lbs

tripletmommy2002
08-14-2006, 06:38 PM
I just learned today from elite car seat website that Compass does have SIP and TSIP - thought that might be helpful to know.

I am trying to pick between teh same seats (Turbo, Compas B500 and Recaro Young Style)

tripletmommy2002
08-14-2006, 08:57 PM
I just got back from looking at the Parkway and after looking at the headrest I am concerned at how far it sticks out. My kids like to look at each other and out the window. If they have the lean forward to see things then the TSIP shields will be lost on them. Just a thought.

vetmommy
08-14-2006, 11:37 PM
I think we've decided on the Parkway. We were leaning toward the Recaro Young Style, but then DH heard that the PW were going to come out with collegiate covers (according to Britax rep in September). I can wait a month. If Britax doesn't have them out on time, I'll reconsider. For me, the lower height on the Compass outweighed the convenience of folding.

To previous poster, DS usually rides in a MA, but he has occasionally used his little sister's Wizard, and the wings didn't bother him at all. Since he was forward facing in it, I didn't notice him leaning out of the wings. Actually, he liked the extra support! DD does sometimes lean forward to see, but she's RF, and does the same thing RF in the MA.

Thanks for all your help!
Tara

Joolsplus2
08-15-2006, 08:17 AM
It's nice that the CompassB510 folds, but the Parkway is still super light and easy to toss in the trunk (we have a couple in DH's car...I just lower the headrests and toss them all over the place and they are great).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

tripletmommy2002
08-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Scratch that about the TSIP thing - I saw a website that says different I guess the "expert" mis- spoke. Sorry about that.