PDA

View Full Version : Safeguard Go Booster or Britax Regent ?

lizgreg
08-02-2006, 07:57 AM
I have a 4 year old (30 lbs/42 inches) and I looking at moving him out of his carseat into either the Safeguard Go booster or Britax Regent. I have an Acura MDX, so, either should fit.

I've read very good things about both, and like the fact that they both have a 5 point harnass. Despite his measurements, I'm not comfortable with putting him into something like the Britax Parkway just yet. Any suggestions ?

Also, I was reading on this website that car seats should not be used after 6 years from the date it was manufactured. Why is that ?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Liz

twodogsandababy
08-02-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm not a tech, so take this with a grain of salt. I have a 4 year old (45 inches, 46 lbs) who is about to outgrow a Marathon for height. We just purchased a Safeguard Go booster for travel, but my husband says that she is already hitting the shoulder height limits for that as well (in 5 pt harness mode). He wasn't sure that he had adjusted it to its full limits, though. Even so, you will likely get a whole lot more use out of the Regent because your son is very tall relative to his weight. It would also have considerably better side impact protection. Don't get me wrong--the Go is a really cool seat, and I'm glad we have it for travel. But I would think the Regent would be a better choice for a main seat.

You might also look into seats that harness until 40 lbs and then convert to a booster. If you can find one with very tall top harness slots to accommodate his height, that might work for you too. (My daughter's weight rules these out for me, but it's a great concept.) I know I've seen a link somewhere that lists all the harness slot heights. You could Google it.

Or you could just wait for Joolsplus to reply, as she will undoubtedly be able to tell you these things off the top of her head!

lizgreg
08-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Thank you so much for your comments. You make some excellent points.
Thanks !
Liz

Joolsplus2
08-02-2006, 02:27 PM
LOL, there's nothing for me to add. I have a Husky (Regent) and a Go, and I can't really imagine using the Go for an everyday seat... I just don't think it'd be all that comfy all the time (which is, in fact why I own it...I got it from a mom who verified that it wasn't great for every day).
The Regent is great though, easy to climb into, comfy to sit in, easy to harness and adjust.

I'm having a little tantrum at my Go just now because I haven't been able to figure out how to put the harness back on it, after I removed it to see how it is a a booster (LOVE it as a booster! I wish they'd sell it separately for $30 as a booster!). Once I can get the harness back in, I'll see if my almost-7-yo dd still fits in it (she DOES fit in the Radian, if you want to add that to your list of seats to consider...it's tall and comfy like the regent, but folds up and travels small like the go...kind of a compromise between the two, lol)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

lizgreg
08-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Hi Julie !

Thanks for your comments. Just want to pick your brain on the Go since I'm leaning towards it right now. Why do you say that it is not comfy ? Does it not have a lot of padding ? I haven't been able to see if except for pics on the internet, so, your comments would be very helpful.

Also, who makes the Radian ?

Thanks.
Liz

Joolsplus2
08-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Have you seen these pictures of the Go? http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/writermomof2/album?.dir=/2c93&.src=ph&.tok=phMDUrEBKXODom7F

Compare those to the photos in this album that have the Super Elite/Husky/Regent http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/FFalbum.aspx which most people say, "wow! that looks like a barca lounger! I could fit in that!"

I haven't tried my kids in the Go for long drives, but they've both been half or all the way across the country comfortably in their Huskies.

The Radian is made by Sunshine Kids. I don't really condone their aftermarket products, but the Radian is an incredibly well-built seat and we like ours fine.

:)

lizgreg
08-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Thank you so much.

Liz

lizgreg
08-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Hi Julie,

Thank you so much for your thorough responses to my message board question. I've been doing some research on-line about combination seats. I've come across two at Right Start that are interesting: Recaro Young Sport and Safety 1st Apex 65 Booster. Both are very new. They look more comforatble than the Safe Guard Go seat. I've been on your website but have been unable to locate any info on either seat. Do you know anything about either of them ?

Thanks.
Liz

Joolsplus2
08-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Ah...wish that WERE my website...I just park my kid's picture there :).
The Apex is a nice bargain choice to 65 pounds, looks quite comfy, makes a great booster later. The Young Sport only goes to 40 but is tall, makes a fantastic booster, and is mysteriously 'out of stock' on way too many websites...I don't know what the deal is, but I'd hold on and see if it comes back in stock or gets recalled or something (for those who have one, don't stop using it, I'm just noting it's a mystery to be out of stock in so many places!).
Try searching down the boards for more info on these :)

lizgreg
08-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Thanks ! The Right Start says that they carry both. I'm going to check them out today.