PDA

View Full Version : new carseat or booster, 3 kids in backseat?

tnjw
08-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Hi~ I've read so many posts and am a bit overwhelmed with the information available, and not sure which way to go. We have a Toyota 4Runner.. 1998 (so not a 7-seater, just 5 passengers). We have 3 kids: DD1 is 3 1/2, and around 38 inches, 33 lbs; DS is 23 months, around 34 inches, 30 lbs; DD2 is 5 months, and ready to out-grow her Graco Snugride (25.5 inches, 16 lbs)

Now we have the snugride in the middle of our backseat, the Britax Roundabout for DS on one side, and Britax Marathon on other side for DD1. I am thinking of buying a new SOMETHING for DD1, moving DS into MA and DD2 into RA.

Ok-- now for questions:

We want the SAFEST, but I am having trouble finding official ratings for some seats I've read about here-- any sources?

For safety reasons, I am leaning toward a convertible carseat that goes to at least 65 lbs and has TALL shoulder straps so will last DD1 both in height and weight-- is that the best plan, and if so, which seats would qualify??? (I am worried Regent will be too wide, but am not sure...)

Any place I can get info on shoulder strap heights?

Does Safeguard Child Seat REQUIRE latch? our 98 4 runner is pre-latch, but we do have the tether anchors (2-- one on each side)

IN a related quandry-- would you put 3 1/2 DD1 in a carseat on an airplane, or just let her sit in the regular seat & check her carseat?

ANY input/guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

~Tiffany
Mom of 3