PDA

View Full Version : Help with seat for grandma's car

daiesy
08-07-2006, 10:49 PM
I have larger than average 19-month old(about 70th %tile for weight and 80th for height), and want to get a seat that we can install in any of three different grandparents' cars on any given weekend. He's particularly tall in the torso, so strap height will eventually be an issue. We're tired of un and re installing our Britax marathon and roundabout seats all the time. We keep DS rear facing in the car he spends the most time in, but are fine with Forward-facing him in other cars. I'm wondering if there is a combo harness/booster (ff only is fine) that is really easy to install and uninstall both with latch and with seatbelt/top tether. We love how easy the seatbelt locking clip makes installing the roundabout with a seatbelt. We're looking at the combo harness/booster seats because he's big enough for some of them now, and it would be nice if we could use the same seat for a while - don't wory, I'm not about to put my little one in it like a booster until he's much older. If there isn't a combo harness/booster, then any recommendations on an economic (i.e. less than a Britax) regular combo seat that is easy to install? I've been reading up on it, but am having a hard time finding info on the harness/boosters with larger weight limits for the harness portion.

Thanks
Ember
Mom to Ellis - 19 months old

Joolsplus2
08-08-2006, 07:40 AM
If all the cars have high seatbacks or headrests, then the Cosco Apex (Might be Safety 1st Apex, might also be called Alpha Elite) has tall top slots, goes to 65 pounds, and becomes a nice booster. It's also quite easy to install, from what I understand. The Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe is basically a Marathon but stripped down and only goes to 55 instead of 65 pounds. The Sunshine Kids Radian is very tall, goes to 65, installs great with LATCH, but could be impossible with some seatbelts in some cars. The Safeguard Go is a fine choice if all cars had headrests and LATCH.

Those are the main ones off the top of my head you can look into (well, the Safeguardseat (bigger than the Go) is loverly, but $429 is maybe a bit of a splurge...still, thought I'd mention it, lol).

Hope that helps get you started!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

daiesy
09-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Ok, one grandparent's car doesn't have high seat backs or LATCH (top tether only). It's a jeep cherokee (which they actually use off road a lot, but it's their only vehicle). Are there any FF seats with 5-point harnesses that can later be converted to a booster that work with a low seat back and a seatbelt installation? Or do I just have to bite the bullet and buy one seat now and a booster in a couple of years? I'm guessing the later, but just want to check first.

Thanks,

Ember

daiesy
09-05-2006, 05:46 PM
What do you think about the Nania?

Ember
Mom to Ellis - 20 months