PDA

View Full Version : Next car seat for long, thin 5 year old??

hst05
08-08-2006, 09:53 AM
I need help! I am neurotic about my kids car seats, but I get overwhelmed when I read through the postings - so here's my question. My daughter just turned 5 and is 34 pounds/44 inches. She's currently in a Britax Roundabout and is definitely too tall for it. I was ready to get her a high back booster (since the booster says it's OK at 30 pounds), but then read through the postings here that really she should be 40 pounds. Why the discrepancy and what is the best at this point? When it comes to car seats, cost is not a concern, but is it necessary to make a big investment in another car seat that she'll use for just a brief time? I also have a 3 year old son who is already 36 pounds/38 inches and also in a RA (if we need to factor that into the equation.)

Thanks!
Heather
dd 6/01
ds 4/03
ds 1/06

Joolsplus2
08-08-2006, 11:43 AM
The reason boosters start at 30 pounds is for kids like our dd's, who seem to not hit 40 till they are too tall for other tall harnessed seats :). It's the 30 pound 2 yo's that end up in those boosters that are the losers with that low weight limit situation :(.

Since you can (will) hand down seats for awhile, you could look at something like the Marathon, Regent, Radian,Apex and keep your eldest harnessed till your ds1 is 40 pounds or too big for the RA, and then get her a booster (that she'll use till she's 9-12, depending how she fits in the adult seatbelt, so it can be girly if you want, no handing that down, lol). Or if you think you're ready for her to go to a booster now (Parkway, Monarch, Jane Indy or Indy Plus, or Graco Turbo), then get her one, and shop around for a Marathon/Regent/Radian/Apex for your ds as soon as he's out of the RA.
It's not necessarily easier to have a kid in a booster versus a harnessed seat, so don't let that factor into your decision too heavily (sometimes with three kids I WANT them all harnessed, even my almost 9 yo is stil in his Regent to keep the family peace, lol).

Hope that helps a little!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Joolsplus2
08-08-2006, 11:48 AM
PS, that list of boosters is just a few of my top exciting boosters of the week, the Monarch isn't even out yet, per the Britax site, lol, but I like them for the substantial side impact protection. The Evenflo Big Kid is nice, but no EPS foam. The Compass B510 is nice, but NOT the B500, and backless boosters are only acceptable if you have side curtain airbags in your car and your child doesn't need a high back for sleep support (highback boosters reduce head injury by 70% compared to no-back boosters in side impacts, so no-backs are generally not my first choice, especially for 5 yos)

:)

hst05
08-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks Julie - you are (literally) a lifesaver when it comes to muddling through all of this stuff! I really appreciate your expertise. So, some follow up questions...

The "Apex 65 Booster" is what I found...it looks good...she isn't too tall for it now?? She could stay in that until 1st ds outgrows his RA, then she could move up and he could move into the Apex - right?

Or, we go with the high back booster...is the Parkway Express the same as the Parkway? And is a mild mannered, rules following 5 year old ready for that?? She just seems young to me - or is that just the nervous mommy coming out (lol)?!

I've never heard of the Radian or Indy companies, so not sure about them...but the Apex and Parkway are great in your opinion?? And I'm definitely not worried about easiest - just safest. Buckling everyone in is just part of the routine!

tjham
08-08-2006, 06:22 PM
My granddaughter is almost exactly the same as your DD. She turned 5 in June, weighs 34 1/2 lbs, 43", 15 inch torso height. I bought her a Marathon (good to 65 lbs.) for her mom's car about 6 months ago and a Graco Platinum Cargo for her dad's truck. The Cargo doesn't make a good booster but makes a great harnessed seat to 40 lbs. I have a 15 mo old grandson to pass them down to.

What is your daughter's torso height (measured from child's bottom sitting on the floor with back against a wall to top of shoulder)? Is she above the top slot in the Roundabout?

Joolsplus2
08-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Yeah, Apex and Marathon are nice and tall top slots, about 17 inches, the RA is about 15.5. *I'd* keep her harnessed, I'm totally a nervous mom (and proud of it, lol).
Parkway Express is just the babies r us cover... there's also the Tiffany (don't show it to her! you'll never sell the apex after that, lol)

:)