PDA

View Full Version : Booster for an obese child

chi_square
08-13-2006, 12:39 AM
I think my child is such a statistical outlier there will be no optimal solution, but on the off-chance I've missed something in my searches ...

My son is 5yo, about 50-51" tall and nearing 100lbs. He has outgorown our Husky by weight. He is also only barely fitting into the Turbobooster by width and will soon max its weight limits as well. I have a large sedan in which the rear seltbelts hit very high on neck on me, so I need something that helps adjust where the belt will cross over my son.

Can anyone recommend a wider seat base booster that would work for us? At this point, I am willing to exceed the weight limits since this is used as a booster not as a harnessed seat and the purpose is to adjust the belt path, not "contain" so much as a harness needing to withstand the weight shift in a collision. The more important function for me is adjusting the belt path across his chest and lap. I do have a backless booster that can be used in the grandparents' cars which have lower belt paths, but my car is his primary transportation.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice for seats.

mommyto4
08-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Have you tried the Britax Parkway. Since it has no arm rests it may be more comfortable for him. I think that the Compass B510 is also a wider seat. Hopefully a tech will chime in. You may not hear from them until tomorrow though. The board is a little slow on the weekends.

Joolsplus2
08-13-2006, 04:17 PM
The Cosco High Rise (or Ambassador) is a wide seat, as is the Combi Dakota. And the Parkway IS bigger than the Turbo, though you couldn't tell to look at it.
The Parkway is the only one that has kind of ditched having a set upper weight limit (they say 'approximately 100' in some of their newer literature), and all other booster seats have limits in labels, only (there's really not a situation where the 100 pound dummy, which doesn't exist, is flying all out of booster seats in testing, they really just like to put nice round numbers on those seats...).
If you can hold out a little longer, then the brand new and improved Evenflo Big Kid (could be out in a few months, looks WAY different from the old one, so you'll tell...but actually you could try the regular plain current Big Kid, I know a 100lb 8 yo who finds it comfortable) might do the trick or the Britax Monarch, or possibly one of the older seats with non-confining sides, like the Jupiter Komfort Kruiser or Grizzly or Polar Bear Booster might be more comfy.

And yeah, the Compass IS fairly wide and might be rather comfy, too.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx