PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder width

avd3875
08-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Crazy RAV4 mom here again. I have almost given up on the possibility of buying a Regent. I've found a way to tether it to the car, but I know it is not an approved method, so I think it might be time to move on to another seat. I'm thinking about either the Radian or the Marathon. I spent a lot of time at the store today with my measuring tape and they really are very close. However, the Radian seems to be one inch wider at the shoulders. So here's my question: is there a rule about shoulder width? In the Roundabout my son's shoulders seem cramped, like they are getting pushed forward. I've assumed that in order to have a proper fit his shoulders should rest flat against the back of the seat, but if that were the case why do all carseats have such narrow shoulders? Or do I just have a child with abnormally wide shoulders??!!
With regard to the Radian, I've heard that it isn't as easy to install as Britax, and that there are many cars it just doesn't "work" with. Has anyone run into that problem? I really do love the Britax seats, and although the Radian's top harness slot is 1" lower than the Marathon, the 1" in shoulder width is very appealing.

Thanks again,
Annemarie

Joolsplus2
08-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Let me bump up the pictures of my dd in her Marathon and Radian...
One question...do your RAV4 seats recline? If you can recline them a notch or two, then install the Radian, then pull the seats back up, then it's quite likely to fit fine...

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

avd3875
08-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks, Julie. The seats do recline. So I'm guessing that you would recommend that I go with the Radian over another Britax. Is that because of the wider shoulder width on the Radian?

Thanks again,
Annemarie

Joolsplus2
08-15-2006, 08:58 PM
It's a little wider in the shoulders, a little taller in the straps, and performs a little better (reportedly, from the designer of the Radian...I haven't seen the NHTSA compliance data, and it won't come out till next year, but the seat is lower and sits further back, so I tend to believe him).

What turned out to be the solution to your tether anchor issue?

avd3875
08-17-2006, 11:09 PM
I think I am definitely leaning toward the Radian. However, I noticed that yellowdogmom mentioned a Radian 80. I called Sunshine Kids this morning and I was told that the new seat is scheduled to come out in late September, and it does indeed go up to 80lbs. The woman I spoke to didn't know any of the measurements of the seat, but she was pretty sure that it did not require a tether. I'm going to hold out until the bitter end with our Roundabouts. Hopefully Joey won't outgrow them until the new Radian is available. If I'm really lucky the new Radian will be wider in the shoulders, too!
What is recommendation about buying a carseat that is new on the market, with no long-term history to back it up?

Joolsplus2
08-18-2006, 08:24 AM
I really like my Radian, and on a personal note, have spoken with it's inventor.... He's very excited about the quality and testing of his products.
The 80 is exactly the same as the 65, but with better padding (he claimed this was a deep dark secret and not to tell anyone, since it costs more...so shhhhh). I think I'd pay a little more for better padding, maybe, though the 65 is quite nice, anyway, my dd really likes it.
She's 45 pounds and getting too tall for it...I don't know how much more I'd pay for an extra 15 pounds of weight when the harness slots really aren't all that high...depends on how your kiddo is built (those shoulders! lol... still might want to give the Apex a try...though definitely the Radian is 'britax quality' and the Apex is definitely a Cosco....)

yellowdogmom
08-18-2006, 09:47 AM
So, Julie, you're saying that the 80 will be the same size and dimensions as the 65? I was assuming it would be larger, at least one more set of shoulder slots. Interesting.

FWIW, I have been impressed with Sunshine Kids service as well. I e-mailed back and forth about finding a retailer near me so we could take a look IRL. They were very helpful!

:) Kristin
Mom to Theo, born 1/12/2004 in Korea ~ home forever 7/6/2004
and Morgan the yellow lab

Joolsplus2
08-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Yup, same sized seat and everything.
Yeah, they are nice folks... sometimes we ream them for making the mighty tite and all those other aftermarket things... but the Radian is really a nice seat.