PDA

View Full Version : How much longer is it safe to leave DS in his Roundabout?

isaiahsmom
08-14-2006, 10:34 PM
DS has just about outgrown his Roundabout, since he is 39# and 39 inches. After posting here and doing other research I've decided to go with another carseat rather than move to a booster at this point. My question is how much longer do I have before another seat is absolutely necessary? My budget can't support 2 additional seats right now, but I don't want to compromise DS's safety.

TIA for any responses.

Heather,

Mom to:
Isaiah 8.24.03
Amara 3.14.05

Joolsplus2
08-15-2006, 08:20 AM
Eh...just stop feeding him ;).

Seriously, kids can 'hover' around 40 pounds for weeks or months, and if the seat is well installed, top tethered, and his neck and head are supported against whiplash (tops of ears not above the top of the seatback), then you have some time to put together a few bucks. The good thing is, you can hand them down to Amara later.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kellyotn
08-15-2006, 08:33 AM
Are you asking if there's wiggle room? No on the weight. Weight limits are strict. You do not have much time at all. Height depends on the child's torso height. One 39" child may be too tall, while another isn't. His shoulders must be at or below the slot. There's a rule for his head in relation to the shell too. Check your manual.

Regardless, given his weight, time is almost up. :)

What seats are you looking at? Could you just buy one for now and move it until you can get the second? I just had to replace a 40 lb seat for my 3.5 year old and it wasn't fun! If the Apex works in your car (headrest rule), it would be a great choice. Its often on sale at Walmart (though I've never seen them in MY walmart...) I *believe* that you want the red and black one as they are taller than the blue and grey one.

isaiahsmom
08-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Based on my conversations with Julie, last week or so, I decided to go with the Marathon, b/c the FP (Safe Voyage?) is $179 and I've found the Marathon online for $239 w/free shipping. I figured since the difference in price is minimal I'll go ahead and get it. What I might do is just get one now (we have seats in each car) since DS is in my car most right now, and get one for DH's car in a month or so.

Who makes the Apex, I've forgotten. Maybe I can get one of those as an extra for grandma's car?

Thanks again for replying.

Heather,

Mom to:
Isaiah 8.24.03
Amara 3.14.05

Joolsplus2
08-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Cosco or Safety 1st makes the Apex (all Dorel, but they like to try to confuse us, lol). You can see it at Babies R Us, it might be called the Alpha Elite (but the Alpha Omega Elite boxes are labeled Alpha Elite... makes me wanna cringe!)

:)

isaiahsmom
08-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Sorry I'm confused. Cosco/Safety 1st makes the Apex, but its also called the Alpha Elite or the Alpha Omega Elite? I think I saw that at BRU recently.

Heather,

Mom to:
Isaiah 8.24.03
Amara 3.14.05

kellyotn
08-16-2006, 01:54 PM
>Sorry I'm confused. Cosco/Safety 1st makes the Apex, but its
>also called the Alpha Elite or the Alpha Omega Elite? I think
>I saw that at BRU recently.

The Alpha OMEGA Elite is an entirely different seat. 40 lb limit convertible, then booster.

For the 65 lb weight limit, FF only seat that becomes a booster - you want the "Alpha Elite" (no omega) or the "Apex 65". There's some weirdness with the Apex in that some owners measure higher top slots than other owners. It *might* be that the red/black ones are quite a bit taller, but no one seems to know for sure! The other color option (and potentially shorter one) is grey and slate blue. There was a post over on the baby car seat board about it, username "Splash" started it.

The Apex/Alpha Elite can only be used in cars with higher backseats or headrests. The headrest of the seat isn't structural. The rule is that the midpoint of child's head needs to be at or below the vehicle's seat/headrest. It won't work in a lot of van/truck bench seats or in small cars that don't have headrests. Will work in sedans with headrests, or in captain's chairs, etc.

Joolsplus2
08-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks for helping to clear that up, Kelly. They make me so mad with their naming structure this year I get incoherent :P (there I was standing there in the toy dept at BRU and looked up to dozens of boxes labeled 'alpha elite' and I had to really squint to see they meant Alpha OMEGA Elite... someone in their design department needs to be slapped)

;)