PDA

View Full Version : Releasing seat belt for booster...

Tanya
08-27-2006, 01:40 PM
This is NOT a question for me.

Dh's boss has a 2.5 year old that weighs over 40 pounds and is 40 some inches in height. He has him in a booster seat and the kid has learned how to push the button to release the seat belt at times when it's difficult to stop the car. He was wondering if there is some kind of product he can buy to prevent the kid from pushing the seatbelt release button.

I guess my dh said something to him about having him in a 5 point harnessed carseat instead and the response was that the 2.5 year old is too big for a carseat (I'm assuming he thinks all carseats only go to 40 pounds).
So, my response is they make bigger carseats and a 2.5 year old obviously isn't mature enough to sit in a seatbelted booster seat, blah blah blah. I gave him the names of several of the larger carseats and explained how I really don't think my almost 3.5 year old can push the button on her Marathon (of course, she really doesn't try since our car won't run without her strapped in...it takes more than the turn of a key to start a Honda Odyssey). Usually when I hear about kids escaping a 5 point harness, it's from loosening the straps, not actually releasing the buckle. My daughter actually just tightens hers.

Anyway, I already sent on the info about larger carseats and how much safer it would be, BUT in case he's absolutely set on using the booster, I thought I'd ask if there is a product like he wants to keep the kid from pushing the button for the seatbelt. He's currently using duct tape...

Joolsplus2
08-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Some people are hell-bent on staying ignorant....
Soooo... one thing that seems to work is using the sticky velcro (the rough side)... you can cut a square of it that fits right over the red buckle release button, and that discourages soft little fingers from pushing too hard (Sunshine Kids makes some just for carseats, but I can't find it, and honestly any kind would work).

And of course ultra-consistent discipline would help a lot... duct tape isn't going to keep him from going out and getting drunk with his teenage friends (oh, you know I'm being snarky... but parents never seem to really understand you have to be CLEAR with kids from day one, or you have a pile of trouble on your hands down the road when they are bigger... ;) 2.5 yo's are really quite capable of understanding you stay buckled in the car PERIOD. )
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Tanya
09-29-2006, 10:50 PM
I thought I'd share some good news for a change.

Sometimes people actually do WANT help when they ask for help and they are willing to listen.

He went out and bought the Britax Regent. He just honestly thought that all carseats only went to 40 pounds, so thought he HAD to go with a booster. I'm glad I didn't get rude and snotty when I gave him advice because he actually did listen.

I feel so much better knowing his 2.5 year old is in a 5 point harness and actually staying strapped in.

kellyotn
09-30-2006, 10:15 AM
Wow, that's GREAT! There really are a lot of options out there that people just might not know about. :) I mean, the world of car seats has changed immensely in the last few years. If you ask someone with kids even slightly older, or read an out of date review, you could easily think you are out of options. (Not to mention the generally un-knowledgeable staff at most baby retailers....)

Glad the kid is back harnessed. My little guy is just over two, and STUBBORN. I hate to think of him being in a booster anytime soon.