PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy to buy a parkway instead of a harnessed seat for 2nd seat?

smkinc
08-30-2006, 11:44 PM
Ugh--DS is 40.5" and 38.5lbs and is 3.5 years old. I think he is mature enough for a booster as he is very adamant about being buckled in. We need a 2nd seat.

I have a Regent in my car, and frankly, am less than thrilled with it. It is large, and I've had issues with the straps twisting, I'm really wishing I had purchased a young sport instead, but have never seen one IRL, so it may be wishful thinking??? (For reference we had an Evenflo Triumph and a Britax Galaxy, both of which I loved relative to the regent).

I do like that the regent harnesses to 80 lbs and as long as I don't need to move the seat it is fine in my car. DS rides in my car 90% of the time. He spends ~5% of his time in DH's 2002 Toyota Tundra (because the backseat is removed, he needs to ride in the front with the airbag turned off). When he's not riding with DH, the carseat is removed from the truck, so is reinstalled many times. Because he's riding in the front seat, I'm thinking he needs to be harnessed. But think it will be a PITA to get a Regent in and out. The other 5% he's in Grandma's car, etc. and so I've ruled out the Apex due to the head rest issue.

We will be adopting an infant in the next year. (But have an infant seat as well as the Galaxy and Triumph that will go to 2009)

If you've hung with me so far, here are my options.

1. Buy a parkway now and use as 2nd seat. (Actually, DS hasn't quite outgrown the Triumph, but could at any moment :), so use once DS outgrows the Triumph)

2. Buy a Boulevard/Marathon as a second seat and wait one more year to buy a booster as DS will likely outgrow by 5 years, then 'pass down' to the baby. (I really like the sand dollar Marathon on Albee baby, but think a BV might be better as a front seat car seat, although I don't really want to pay that much $$$ for an extra seat).

3. Buy a 2nd Regent, because after all this is likely the safest thing to do :(.

4. Edited to add--perhaps I should try a SK radian 65? It seems in my searching when I selected the Regent, there were install issues with the radian, and so I ruled it out. However just looking online, this may be the best bet?

Your advice/opinions are greatly appreciated!

TIA,
Mary

Joolsplus2
08-31-2006, 01:34 PM
Ugh, toughie!
IF you can find a Radian to try out, try it out and see...It might just work, and you'd probably be happier keeping your son harnessed longer. If you can't find one... I might be personally tempted to go for the Parkway, for as little use as it gets. Maybe the SafeSeat2 by Graco will come out to 50 pounds by the time the Triumph is outgrown? It only goes to 40 pounds now, but the new one will go to 50, and that next ten pounds and torso inches could be a couple years off.

Good luck!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

smkinc
09-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Thanks Julie, unfortunately, I don't think anywhere nearby carries the Radian in stock. Does BRU? I can drive 2 hours to get to one of those, perhaps I'll call and find out. Last night, I was leaning towards just buying a Radian, as it could be a second seat that would work for either a toddler or infant. How significant are the install issues with the Radian?

Today, though, I'm tempted to just go and buy a parkway or Marathon, and be done with it. I'm just wondering, since the booster is re-installed so many times would it be better to have a parkway that would install correctly all the time, or a harnessed seat that might not have the 'best' install all the time.?

How much longer to you think my son would be able to ride in the Marathon vs. the Radian?

I'll ask DH what he thinks, he works as an engineer in accident reconstruction (fairly new job). Thankfully, he hasn't seen any fatal accidents involving children, but since taking this job, has a real drive to be as safe as possible, so *HE* may not mind lugging a huge Regent in and out of his car occasionally.

Mary

mommyto4
09-01-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm not a tech but I think that the Radian has the same height and weight maximum as the Marathon.

Joolsplus2
09-01-2006, 04:23 PM
It does, but my dd had at least a year in the Radian longer than the Marathon...it's wider (in the shoulders, not overall) and more upright, so more growing room, in sort of a Haunted Seat effect.

I think Target sells them online, and you could return it to a local Target if it doesn't work?

Oh maybe the FIsher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe is cheaper than a Marathon?

:)

smkinc
09-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Thanks Julie, I just ordered one from Target--paying for shipping is still way cheaper than driving to the nearest town that might have one. Cant' wait to try it out.

I really appreciate all the help/guidance you've given me and others. The world of car/booster seats is very confusing, and you help A LOT.

Thanks again,
Mary

Joolsplus2
09-01-2006, 06:52 PM
You're welcome...and don't leave me hanging, tell me when you get it and how it fits, ok?

:D

smkinc
09-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Hi Julie,

I got the Radian and tried it out this weekend. It is so much more compact than the Regent! DS hasn't ridden in it, yet, but did sit in the carseat in the truck so I could get a feel for him riding in it. His shoulder is just slightly below the 2nd from the top slots, so I think we'll get at least a year or two out of it. The radian seems perfectly designed for out situation. Do you know if you can fold the seat while it's installed? There are great big warning stickers not to do so, but if you can (seems like I've seen a picture of someone online with theirs like this), it would be easier for DH to just fold it up instead of removing.

Since Great Begginings has the BV for $245, I'm wondering if I should just get one of those instead, pass it down to the baby when the time comes, and get him a booster at that point. He seems awfully exposed in that front seat.

Thanks,
Mary

Joolsplus2
09-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Oh, glad it works! Yeah, those BV's and Britaxes suddenly took that unexpected dive in price, that's for sure. I'd gather there's more good side impact protection in a BV than a Radian, but don't think the Radian is UNsafe in a side impact (not really a lot of real data to tell at this point, of course the BV is designed for side crashes specifically... your choice!).
Hmmm..you'd have to play with that Radian and find out if it can be folded...I really hadn't even thought to try.

:)