PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Baur Delux 3 in 1 car seat

madibug
09-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Does anyone have this car seat? A friend on mine has one and loves it. What do you like/don't like about it? I would use it only forward facing and later for a booser.

Thanks

kellyotn
09-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Its not a favorite around here. ;) Run some searches here and over on the baby car seat section (more traffic and it is a convertible, so talked about a lot there). Search for AOE, 3-in-1, Alpha Omega, etc.

Its nice in RF mode because it has a high weight limit (35 lbs). Its so-so in FF mode. The top harness strap position is very, very low. This means a kid will either go into a booster too young, or ideally another harnessed seat will be purchased. So much for that "last seat" promise.

It also has some VERY confusing top slot issues - the actual top most slot is NOT for harnessing but just to hold the straps in place when its a booster? Or something? I'm not even sure, but its potentially very dangerous. These instructions are imprinted in black, on the black part of the seat. ASKING for misuse. Additionally, it at some point failed testing when not top tethered. Somehow, this situation was "resolved" without a recall, but I don't remember the details.

Then, as a booster, its just really not great. There are MUCH better dedicated boosters out there when that time comes.

How old and big his your child? This has a huge impact on what seats are "best" for you.

There are some very nice "combo boosters" that will likely cost you less money and that you'll be much happier with.

The Cosco Apex 65 will harness to 65 lbs then makes a nice booster. It does have a few drawbacks in that it can't be used with low seatbacks or bench seats.

The Evenflo Generations/Bolero harnesses to 40 lbs and has tall enough slots that making to it 40 lbs is far more likely than in a 3-in-1. It then also makes a nice booster.

The Graco CarGo (any with a front adjuster) is a great harnessed seat. Its not always a great booster for some thinner kids.

The Recaro Young Sport is pricey, but a stellar seat. Has side impact protection and is just VERY nice. I droooled over them, but my DD was too close to 40 lbs. :(

The Regent harnesses to 80 and pretty much gets a kid to an age where they probably won't need a booster at all. (Nine or so). If they DO still need something, it can be a $12 backless booster.

madibug
09-20-2006, 12:36 PM
I am thinking it would be better to put my 3yr 1/2 (33lbs, 38") in a combo booster and move 9month old to her marathon. If I am going to spend a lot of money I would just soon buy another marathon. SO, I was going for cheaper, but still a really great seat and thought to move my 3 1/2yr into another car seat instead. Trying to keep her harnessed as long as possible.

Why is this decision so hard?

Great Beginnigs online has Marathons for $229 w/free shipping, maybe I should just do that......

kellyotn
09-20-2006, 01:09 PM
A really nice 40 lb combo at a GREAT price is the Evenflo Bolero. Its $80 at Sears/Kmart. Its similar to the $110 Generations (at Target), but missing some pillows and a very, very slight recline feature. Its nice harnessed, but does have Evenflo's love or hate knob adjuster system. But, I think its OK once you get used to it. Its tall. It makes a nice booster in the end. The booster belt path is open and easy to use. Its also pretty attractive. ;)

If you don't have short seatbacks, the Apex 65 is a great choice at around $110-120. You won't have to worry about how fast those last 7 lbs might come on. Then, it too makes a nice booster. There IS a discrepency about how high the top slots are - 17" or 19". So, you'll want to check yours out closely. It seems maybe the red/black ones are taller? Its a mystery!

I'd go with either of those easily. In fact, if the Apex would have worked in my husband's truck, I'd have one! I love that it harnesses past 40 lbs.

Joolsplus2
09-20-2006, 01:43 PM
LOW top slots, sucks as a booster. MUCH better as a rearfacing seat...and in that case, might as well just get a Scenera for the baby and keep the three yo in the Marathon for a couple more years, IMO.
(people who don't shop/research online love the AO, but those of us who comparison shop till our fingers bleed really can't stand it, usually ;) )

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

madibug
09-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I tried it in the store, it was okay. I guess I just really like our marathon. I like the idea of the Scenera, I was going to get two for the girls for my DH's car. They are hardly ever in his car, but still need to have something.

Thanks

madibug
09-20-2006, 01:57 PM
I will try to go out and try the Apex and Bolero tonight. We are heading out of town next week and I think my 9month old will be much happier riding in a bigger car seat than her snugride.

Thanks