PDA

View Full Version : Is a used 2003 Marathon worth it?

daveyjoelmom
09-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Hi,

I've gotten so much info off this board in the last 3 years, thanks so much to the techs and everyone else for sharing!

Now I have a question: my 34lb., 42" 3 1/2 year old's shoulders are at the top of his Roundabout's top harness, and my 6 month old is growing out of his Snugride. I want to move the baby into the Roundabout, and get a new seat for #1 son. After reading all the posts here and taking him to try out seats at the store, we decided on the Marathon. But we'd have to sacrifice a little to shell out the big bucks for a new one.

We're first in line for a seller on Craigslist for a 2003 Marathon for $150, advertised in "perfect working and cosmetic order". I'm going to email/call her with a few questions regarding the seat tomorrow (how often was it used, ever been in an accident, etc.).

Assuming everything sounds good, is it worth it to shell out $150 for a seat manufactured in 2003? I'm thinking it should last my oldest until he moves into a booster, but it will expire by the time the baby is ready to move out of the Roundabout. Should I not even worry about handing down the Marathon since that's likely another few years off?

I remember one post saying we should buy for NOW, since we never know what improvements will continue to be made on carseats in the future.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/comments.

TIA,

Debbie

Aunt to sweet baby boy
09-26-2006, 10:41 PM
I personally would never buy/take a seat from someone unless i was really close friends with them and i could truely trust what they would tell me about the seat.

You can buy a new MA for about $220 right now, or you could get your older DS another seat altogether. The Fisher Price seat which is similar to the MA can be bought new for about $180. I would not want to take that chance.

When is your RA going to expire? You would probably get the full 6 years out of a MA if you bought it new now.

JMHO

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/060826/Fsm6.jpg[/img]http://b2.lilypie.com/alzym7/.png[/img][/url]

daveyjoelmom
09-26-2006, 11:28 PM
>I personally would never buy/take a seat from someone unless
>i was really close friends with them and i could truely trust
>what they would tell me about the seat.

I usually take this stance too, but my DH is a big Craigslist fan and I must have turned off my caution filter when we saw the MA for sale on Craigslist.

>You can buy a new MA for about $220 right now, or you could
>get your older DS another seat altogether. The Fisher Price
>seat which is similar to the MA can be bought new for about
>$180. I would not want to take that chance.

I had been watching the prices the last few weeks, but the places I've looked seem like they have gone back up and the sales have ended except for a few patterns my son does not like (Albee, Target, a few other online stores I can't remember but did a search using MySimon). Could you tell me where else to look for a sale?

We tried the Fisher Price at the store, my DS did not like it at all. In fact, he picked the Marathon both times at Target and Babies R Us, and without knowing, proclaimed "This same my old seat. I like this one."

>When is your RA going to expire? You would probably get the
>full 6 years out of a MA if you bought it new now.

The RA was also a 2003, so i'm thinking DS#2 will be about ready for the MA (in 3 years?) by the time the RA expires, if we bought a new one now, as you said. That sound about right?

Thanks for helping me think through this!

Debbie

mommyto4
09-27-2006, 01:08 AM
I think that a new one makes more sense. You would pay 150.00 for a seat that you would use for 2 1/2 - 3 years (depending on when in 2003 it was manufactured) with the used one. But, you could get a full 6 years out of a new one for 50.00 - 100.00 more. Basically, 50.00 per year for the used, or 33.33 - 41.66 per year for a new one. New makes alot more sense IMHO. Also, can you really trust someone you don't know to give you accurate info on a seat they are trying to sell. HTH. Also, if you went with the used one, you would have to be looking for two new seats in 2 1/2 - 3 years when the Roundabout and Marathon both expire. If you got a new Marathon now, you could move the younger child into in when the Roundabout expires and find a good booster or higher weight limit harnessed seat for the older child at that time. I hope that makes sense.

kellyotn
09-27-2006, 08:06 AM
I'd get a new one. The youngest baby can use the new MA when the RA expires or he outgrows it. The RA will expire in, 2.5 - 3 years, right? So, you'll be in the same boat then - a three year old who needs a new seat.

I'm a big craigslist fan too, but for things like housewares, kid clothing, toys. Not a life-saving device. ;)

Hope you can find some of the recent sale ones!

Joolsplus2
09-27-2006, 09:01 AM
http://www.babystyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?pmid=12524&dept=

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx