PDA

View Full Version : Britax Regent question

nyholli
10-01-2006, 10:46 PM
I need to purchase new seats. I have a 5yr (37/38 lb) and a 1 yr (23 lb.). Also, my kids are car sleepers so I did not want a seat that pushed their heads forward.

After a couple weeks of research I realized that the car seats I have are not the safest option for them and honestly I can not put a price on their safety. So I went on a hunt this weekend and could not find a Regent so I just ordered it online. But I have a couple of questions.

(ps. checked the database and could not find some of the info)

1. Can I put 2 Britax seats in that back of an 98 Toyota Camry w/o any problem, side by side or no? a 3rd seat would be impossible with 2 Britax back there?

2. My husband drives a 00 Chevy Silverado King Cab with the (small) bench seat in the back, but NO headrests. So 1. Do you think the Regent will install in there? and is it my best option for a seat that is right up on the window with NO headrests?

3. The other seat I was looking at was a Radian? Any thoughts there as far as safety is concerned and installation in the 2 cars mentioned above?

Sorry for all the questions. But I am looking for safe options for our 2 cars and for grandma's car. Which leds me into my final question

4. My mom picks up my son from PreSchool 4 days a week which is a block away and the occasional trip to the store. She very rarely has the 1yr old with her. Do you have any other GOOD options that are not $250. Just wondering. She drives a Ford explorer so size is not a problem there.

I lied, 1 more

5. What do you think about putting my 1 year old in a regent? She is about 23 lbs?

So sorry for all the questions.

-Drea

Joolsplus2
10-02-2006, 09:29 AM
You'll have to get top tethers for your Camry if you want to put a Regent in there (contact your local dealer, but it may cost as much as 300$) For a 5 yo, a very supportive booster wouldn't be a terrible thing...the Britax Parkway is terrific for car sleepers, even better than the Regent. The Radian might be fine, you really really need to try it in your car or buy it from a place with a good return policy in case it doesn't work. No way no how would I ever put a 1 yo in a Regent...she should be rearfacing for another 6 months to 3 years (depending on the seat you get...see the link in my siggy, yes 3 years for skinny kids, lol).
If the Radian fits, you could put it in the middle and put a booster in the window/outboard seat and still fit another person back there (ideally the harnessed kid goes outboard, but since you don't have a shoulderbelt in the center you'd have to put the boostered child outboard...it's fine with a seat with side impact protection).
Not sure about the truck, you might just have to try things out? Maybe the Parkway would be fine? Maybe the Radian? Maybe the Apex, if the truck has headrests.
The Parkway is good for grandma, too...it's the easiest seat to buckle. Or the Radian might work, too, and you could hand it down to baby sis when she starts riding with her.
Contact any good baby stores in your area and see if they have any of these seats and can let you try before you buy? Or Target has the Radian online...

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

nyholli
10-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Julie, Thanks for the info. I hate to be a pest but you are the expert so I hope you don't mind (and others who want to comment).

Would you suggest the Parkway over the Regent, He is around 37lb and 42in? Do you think it is just as safe for a child his age?

Would the Parkway be safe in the truck without headrests? It has a small bench seat in the back.

What do you think about impact (god forbid), in a Parkway? My concern is doesn't a lap/shoulder belt give the greatest impact in the abdomen over a 5PT harness? Just wondering your thoughts on that, because my son was born with a abdominal defect called an omphalocele. An omphalocele is when some of the abdominal organs are out side the body enclosed in a sac. He is repaired but, there is a possiblity of an center line muscular defect and would prefer his little belly be protected as much as possible.

I am just so confused. If the Parkway is just as safe as the Regent then heck it will save me some money, but again I don't want to put the dollar in front of their safety.

Thanks.

-Andrea

Joolsplus2
10-03-2006, 07:30 AM
A five point harness would put way less stress on the abdomen, actually.. because the shoulders take the brunt of the force instead of the lapbelt riding up a bit in a crash (in fact, that's why kids use boosters at all, to just keep the belt down low till their hips can start doing that around puberty...keep him in a seat for a long time if you are concerned about his internal organs, but harnessed as long as possible).
I'd really try to get that top tether installed in your car before you make a decision. I don't think he's too young to ride in a booster, but if you can get a free tether anchor and a Regent on sale for 200$, it might be a different decision than if you had to pay $300 for an anchor and $269 for a full price regent (if he were younger, like 2.5 and 40 pounds, then a Regent would be the best option hands down, but since he's of decent booster age, it's kind of a tossup).

Yup, the Parkway does provide proper head restraint in a vehicle with low seatbacks (it's only the Cosco products that don't :P )

(sorry if my response is kind of stream of consciousness, the kids are getting ready for school, lol)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx