PDA

View Full Version : Harnesses sticking on Britax Regents - need help

Naomi S
10-24-2006, 08:46 PM
I have three Britax Regent seats (one for each of my triplets). The harnesses on two of the seats are sticking. The harnesses loosen just fine, but they won't tighten when I pull on the straps. I always loosen the harnesses when I take my kids out of their seats. But now it's a real pain b/c the harnesses won't tighten.

Before I remove the seats from my minivan (I have a rock-solid installation with our seatbelts and the tether straps) - I wanted to ask here if anyone has encountered this? What could be causing the problem? I've tried pulling the harnesses out all the way a few times, hoping that this would fix it, but the harnesses still stick.

Thank you for any help/suggestions you can offer!
Naomi

Joolsplus2
10-25-2006, 07:31 AM
Sometimes the metal harness 'yoke' gets stuck on a seatbelt or something behind the seat.. like maybe you threaded the seatbelt between the seat shell and the harness by accident? Also, sometimes just the harness slot you are using causes the yoke to be in a tighter place, like down near the bottom of the seat where there's no room to move (so it gets better after you move to a higher harness slot). You can try maybe reclining your seatbacks a notch and retightening the install before you fully remove it?
That's just my best guess... I hope there's no big issue with the adjusters or something :/.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kellyotn
10-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Which two are sticking? Are they in the same "postition" while the non-sticking one is in a different type seat? I'm just wondering if something about the sticky seat's location that you could troubleshoot. (ie, the padding is a bit different? Curve of seatback?)

Definitely sounds like you need to take 'em out, or at least loosen them, and check that the yoke or the straps aren't stuck on something.

Naomi S
10-25-2006, 09:18 PM
I did some trouble-shooting on the seats today, but still haven't found a solution.

I appreciate the above poster wondering if it was the position of the seats, but one is in the captain's chair, and the other seat is on the back bench.

I also followed up on jools' tip to check that the seatbelts are routed properly, not constricting the harness straps. The seatbelts were routed properly.

I undid the seatbelts and flipped the seats over to watch the harness straps while I loosened/tightened the harness. Nothing is twisted or catching on anything. Even with the seats "free" (unattached), the harnesses still stick when tightening.

I fussed around with the lever that allows you to loosen the harness, and that moves freely. Also checked that nothing is stuck where the tightening strap goes through the seat.

Then I inspected the tightening strap. It looks like it is starting to fray slightly - the strap on both of the seats look like this. For some reason the strap is not moving freely through the little lever where you loosen the harness - something is rubbing the strap, causing it to be harder to pull and also making it fray.

Looks like I will be calling Britax tomorrow. All three of our seats were manufactured on the same day in the same lot, so if there's a problem, I will need them to send out replacement parts in lots of three!

Thanks for the tips - I will follow up here with what Britax suggests.

Naomi

Joolsplus2
10-26-2006, 06:58 AM
Those are fairly easy parts to replace, good luck!

postmodernmommy
10-29-2006, 06:56 PM
I have two Regents and the harness adjusters stick on BOTH seats.

I'm feeling pretty silly here- I never knew you had to route the seatbelt UNDER the harness adjuster. I always routed over it. I suppose that could be WHY the harness is sticking so much.

On another note, I badly needed to wash one of the covers this week. It was a bit of an issue to get the cover off- I simply COULDN'T GET the belly pad off the buckle & couldn't get the buckle to fit through the cover. After trying for ages the buckle fit through the opening but not before the backing of the cover ripped. I promptly called Britax to complain- that rip would only get worse when washed. I was told that they now make the openings on the cover & belly pad smaller and to get them off you have to remove the buckle. HUH??? This is NOWHERE in the manual. I complained and said I followed the care & maintenance instructions to a "T" and they're sending me a new cover. I'll have to send the old one back (too bad- would make a great extra one and replacement covers for the Regent aren't avail. yet). So, warning to all with Regents who will need to remove the cover at some point.

I'm pretty dissapointed with how the Sahara cleaned up- the micro-fiber type tan material was discolored from dirt, sweat, etc and washing it didn't remove the discoloration. Now it just looks worn and sad. Oh well, didn't want the velour (too hot on my munchkin's legs- she wears shorts all year round here in Southern California), the black on the Onyx was hot & slippery and it turned out the Sahara was pretty but the middle fabric is hot & vinyl-y as well. Something with more cotton would certainly be a better option on these covers. That's why I always loved the denim fabrics on the smaller seats. I guess nothing is perfect. Still adore the seat, anyway.

Amy :)

Joolsplus2
10-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Oh yeah, that belly pad thing...yeah, they really should say to remove the buckle to get it off :P That's a real shame the Sahara doesn't keep it's spiffy newness so well... :(