PDA

View Full Version : need big kid seat for 3.5 year old -- so darn confused!

jubilee
10-31-2006, 03:07 AM
The confusing world of 'big kid' seats... please help! I have a 3.5 year old son that is 41" and 38 pounds. He is outgrowing his Triumph (which I actually loved) and I'm needing to move to the next level of seats. After reading on this board for almost 2 hours, I don't feel I have the answers I need because so many posts are specific to the child and/or vehicle. So, I have a list of questions that I hope some kind heart will help with!

1. What are the options in 'big kid' seats for my son? (I don't know what the difference is between a booster, a harnessed seat, and a combo seat!) The stores seem to indicate that my son is big enough for just about anything-- but I want the safest option.

2. How long are kids even in carseats/boosters? (My older son is 14 years old, so I haven't dealt with this for a long time!)

3. What specific brands/models are recommended for a minivan (Toyota Sienna) with a captain's seat. This is our primary vehicle and I want to have Logan safe and secure and comfortable. And although I have no idea why people mention if their kids sleep in the car or not-- my son doesn't sleep in the car except for maybe once a month (and that would be a short 20-30 minutes).

Ideally, I'm not spending a fortune, but you have to do what is best so I'll spend what I need to. However, I do NOT want to have to buy another seat in a year, so hopefully there is something that works for several years?

Thank you in advance for any answers!
~Julie

ajweeks
10-31-2006, 11:50 AM
A 3.5 year old should still be in a 5 pt. harness and since he is almost 40 lbs, your choices are limited. Here are some good options:

Britax Regent--FF only with 5 pt. harness to 80 lbs. Will last him a long time--at least to 8 years old. It is $249 unless you can find a sale online. It will fit fine in a captain's chair.

Cosco Apex--FF only with a 5pt. harness to 65 lbs. and then will convert to a belt positioning booster. It has a lower harness slot height than the Regent so will not last harnessed as long, but should last long enough and then your son should be ok with it as a booster. This seat does require high seatback/headrest behind it, but you shouldn't have a problem with that requirement in a captain's chair. It is around $130, but I've seen online sales with it at $99. BRU has it so you can test it out.

Sunshine Kids Radian--convertable seat that can go rear-facing as well as forward facing, but has high harness slot heights and can be used up to 65 lbs. Will fit kids to around 5-7 years. It is $180, but is hard to find in stores. It also can be hard to install in some cars, I'm not sure if it fits in the Sienna or not.

Britax Marathon/Decathalon/Boulevard--convertable seat like the Radian that can be used to 65 lbs., but has slightly lower harness slot heights than the Radian. This would be your most expensive option since it will only fit kids to 5-6 years and if you don't have another child to hand it down to, you wouldn't be getting much use out of it.

Most likely the top two options are you best choices--Regent or Apex since they can be used the longest. You'll just have to decide if you want to keep him harnessed until around 8 years or if you are ok with him using a booster seat starting at around 5-6 years old.

kellyotn
10-31-2006, 11:51 AM
A "combo seat" is a front facing seat that has a harness up to a certain weight limit. After that weight limit (or height limit) is passed, it can be used as a belt positioning booster.

Boosters are recommended for kids under four, regardless of what the boxes say. ;) A kid under 4 just can't sit still for each and every ride. I know if my just-turned four year old DD dropped something, she'd absolutely go to pick it up if she could. Not safe. She also sleeps a TON in the car, so harnessing is much easier to stay "in postition".

OK, so a 3.5 year old / 38 pounder is EXACTLY where I was when my DD outgrew her FPSE and her Scenera. It was a hard choice! Cross off all the 40 lb combos, because she's too close to the weight limit. (Evenflo Generations/Bolero, Graco Cargo, any 40 lb Cosco, etc.)

You're left with, in no particular order -

Cosco Apex 65/Alpha Elite. This is a combo seat that harnesses until 65 lbs. It does have a "headrest rule" stating it needs a tall seat back or headrest behind it. In your minivan, you're fine. It is a nice seat in both modes. If she's short enough that she's still fitting in a Triumph, she'll have lots of harness growing room in the Apex. Don't confuse it with the Alpha **Omega** Elite, that's a totally different seat. Also, there is some confusion on the topmost slot height. I'm thinking the red is thought to be 2" taller, but I'm not certain. If you can see one in person, I'd check it out. You need to move the headrest all the way up to see the top slots. The tall ones are 19" the short ones are 17". Big difference!

Britax Regent. Its big (same overall size as an Apex, but much HEAVIER). A tether is required after the child hits 50 lbs. Again, in your van, that should be fine. A child can last in a Regent until 9 or more. Its much taller than anything else out there and has a weight limit of 80 lbs. Therefore, a booster may not be needed at all! :)

The larger convertibles - Sunshine Kids Radian, Britax MA, Blvd, Deca. If you have a younger child, these would be a good as you can pass them down. Most outgrow them at 5-6 (given how long she lasted in the Triumph, I'd say she'll last towards the older end of the range.)

I personally ended up with a clearance Marathon. The Apex didn't work in my husband's vehicle and, honestly, the Regent imtimidated me! I didn't want to lose the ability to fit an adult in the truck, etc. The clearnace Marathon fit the bill for me. Logically though, I know a Regent probably would have been a better buy overall. ;)

HTH you get started.

mommyto4
10-31-2006, 01:54 PM
I agree with the previous posts. My personal first choice would be the Regent but, I'm spoiled by Britax. The Apex would be great for your situation. It could be used with the harness until the harness is outgrown, then it could be used as a booster until you don't need a booster anymore. Therefore, it would be the last seat you would need. You could also check out the SafeGuard seat. It is really expensive though.

tjham
11-01-2006, 06:44 PM
And there is the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe. Made by Britax and similar to the Marathon (but to 55 lbs.) but without the frills (which you aren't already used to anyway!). I just bought one ($179.99 at BRU and Baby Depot) and I like it!

But it does sound like the Apex would last longer.

jubilee
11-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Thank you all SO much!! I read your posts and did searches here based on your recommendations and it looks like the clear winner is the Britax Regent. I'm all set to get one now-- just have to find one! Hoping a store around here has one because I imagine that shipping isn't cheap. Thanks again!

mommyto4
11-02-2006, 12:24 AM
I don't think that many store carry them but, alot of the online places that you can order them from offer free shipping. Try; Albee Baby, Baby Universe, Elite Carseats, Amazon, Baby Style. That should get you started on the right path. Some online stores may even be running specials now. HTH.

jubilee
11-02-2006, 01:06 AM
well, I just found a stumbling block... my minivan is a 2000 and doesn't have LATCH. (At least I don't think so-- Toyota Sienna) It appears that the Regent requires the use of the LATCH after 50 pounds?? Is that right? If so, I can't even get it. what should I do?

Joolsplus2
11-02-2006, 07:28 AM
No, it only requires a top tether after 50 pounds, and you can add a top tether to your car http://www.carseatsite.com/sienna.htm
The Fisher Price/Marathon/Apex/Radian don't technically ever require a top tether, but a top tether can reduce head excursion by many inches, and is recommended for all forward facing kids (the Radian supposedly clears the head excursion limits without one...might be something to consider if you want to use the passenger side middle captain's chair...)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kellyotn
11-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Try Target.com too. That way, if you don't like it, you can return it to any Target.

jubilee
11-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Thank you so much! I've printed out that page and will get our van tether-ready when Logan is close to that 50 pound mark. I just didn't want to buy it if it would be useless at 50 pounds... thanks for letting me know how to make this seat work! I'm off to order it! Yippee!

Joolsplus2
11-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Get a tether anchor as soon as you possibly can...they can reduce the risk of head injury dramatically for *any* front facing kiddo :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx