PDA

View Full Version : Installation location/method question...

yellowdogmom
11-02-2006, 08:13 AM
OK, I feel kind of stupid asking this at this point since DS is coming up on 3 in January...and I'd be surprised if I didn't think of this before in doing my initial research, but...

What is the preferred method and location combo of the following options:

Car #1 (98 Toyota RAV4): outboard with shoulder belt or center with lap belt (this car currently has DS's Roundabout and will be getting a Radian in a few months when he outgrows the Roundabout)

Car #2 (03 Toyota Matrix): outboard with LATCH or center with shoulder belt (we just moved up to a Marathon in this car)

Thanks much!

:) Kristin
Mom to Theo, born 1/12/2004 in Korea ~ home forever 7/6/2004
and Morgan the yellow lab

Joolsplus2
11-02-2006, 08:31 AM
The center gives you a lot more space before that giant SUV bumper crashing into you gets to your kiddo (try to imagine a Ford Excursion running a red light...)...BUT, if the installation in the center is bad/too loose, then the seat will rotate right towards that big oncoming bumper... if you can get a GOOD installation in the center (less than one inch of movement where the seatbelt goes through it), then go with that position. If you can't get a decent install in the center with belt, then go with LATCH or seatbelt outboard (a tight seat won't rotate toward the oncoming car so much). Does that make sense? :)

And despite the scary descriptions, ANY seat in the back in a properly installed and used seat is VERY safe (thank god, because my kids would have killed each other on numerous ocassions if I hadn't separated them and put them both outboard, lol)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

yellowdogmom
11-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks Julie! I feel like he might like it better in the middle anyway since he'd be able to see more (I take the headrest off for him at the carwash and sometimes he asks for me to take it off when we're driving around town). When discussing it DH felt like the high seat in forn of him would help shield him from any flying glass, etc in the event of a head-on collision, but I'm guessing that side impacts are probably more prevalent. I should do some digging for statistics.

Thanks again!

Joolsplus2
11-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah, cars have been designed for front impacts for years and years now... they pretty much have it 'down'..but for side impacts, they just realized how deadly they are with so little structural support in the doors and lack of crush space, so things are just beginning to get safe for near-side struck passengers.

But I digress...lol...ANY seat in the back, properly installed and used, is VERY safe :) (oh, did I already say that? Hmm... must be true!)

yellowdogmom
11-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Just wanted to check in and thank you again, Julie! I moved both of DS's seats on Thursday night. When I picked him up from daycare yesterday he was woo-hooing the whole way home...he loves being able to see where we're going. I'm also feeling so much safer, especially since we've had some close calls recently at one particular intersection close to home (both times they were teenage girls on cell phones...x( The first time I yelled "chickie get off the phone!!!" and now DS says "chickens get off the phone!" every time we drive through that intersection...at least I didn't swear!)

Thanks again!

Joolsplus2
11-04-2006, 02:50 PM
ROFL!!!! Chickens get off the phone! That's hilarious :D
I tried to use the same argument with my dd (7) today to sit in the middle of our car in her flowery booster, but she wanted to sit in her brothers tie-dye booster, rather than look out the window..oh well, it has side impact protection AND the car has side airbags, so I let her sit there.