PDA

View Full Version : Second seat for 1-2 days/wk use and air travel?

joy_a
11-06-2006, 02:06 PM
After outgrowing the straps on his combo seat, DS (18 months, 32lbs, 35'' tall) is in a Britax Regent purchased after reading helpful comments here! I am now hoping to find a second seat that can move easily in an out of my friend's car - she watches him a day or two a week. Ideally, I will also be able to use it for travel - we plan to fly with him at least a few times a year.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!!

Joy

Joolsplus2
11-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Which seat did he outgrow? I'm assuming a Comfortsport or Titan or Alpha Omega?

The Safeguard Go might be a good choice for you, but it can't be used on the plane, and requires a top tether and high seatback. The Cosco Apex might also be a good choice (again, though, requires a high seatback or headrests).

The Sunshine Kids Radian might also be terrific (heavy as heck, but folds and works on a plane).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

joy_a
11-07-2006, 09:08 AM
He outgrew an Evenflo Triumph. I was really surprised and thought he would be in it longer but the straps were getting pretty tight. (It was becoming really snug and difficult to get on when he was wearing a t-shirt in the summer, let alone heavier fall/winter layers.)

I thought that maybe I wasn't loosening it properly and had dh double check it and confirm that there wasn't any additional strap left to loosen. Is that weird? We're we missing something?

I wanted to get something to keep him in the 5-pnt harness for as long as possible, anyway...just ended up buying the Regent earlier than anticipated.

Thanks again for the advice about a second seat!

joy_a
11-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Sorry but more questions. As with many, I am feeling a bit information overload and now have concerns about our primary seat.

I've been checking out the CPSafety website learning more about keeping kids rear-facing. (Thanks!) Before that, I had ruled out the other Britax seats thinking that he would outgrow them too quickly...I bought the Regent thinking it was the best option to keep him in the 5-pt harness for a long time. Now I'm not sure whether I jumped the gun on the Regent...thoughts?

Sorry for being so long winded but I am new to the message boards...

mommyto4
11-07-2006, 12:07 PM
At 32 pounds, you would not be able to RF him much longer anyway. The Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard only RF to 33 pounds. As long as he is comfortable in the seat, I don't see a problem (some younger kids are not comfortable in the Regent). If he were under 30 pounds then I think that it would have been better to go with one of the others to keep him RF as long as possible but, with only one pound until he has to go FF anyway, I think that you made a great choice. I hope that makes sense

Joolsplus2
11-07-2006, 12:35 PM
I don't think tight straps like that is normal. They wind up on a bar in the middle of the bottom of the seat, and you probably have to either figure out how to get that bar unwound (call Evenflo) or you have a defective seat (call Evenflo). If his shoulders aren't OVER the top slots, then there should be ample room in the harness for him to fit for at least somewhat longer, because the top slots are quite high-ish on that seat.

I'd call Evenflo, seat in hand, and tell them what the issue is, I bet they can walk you through it :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx