PDA

View Full Version : Julie - More Questions for top tether in our 98 RAV...

yellowdogmom
11-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Sorry to kind of beat a dead horse here, but I'm still trying to figure out a way to tether DS's Roundabout in our 98 RAV4. I found a web board for RAV4 owners and an Australian poster took some pics of a nut that is integrated into the floor in the back under the carpet...so we looked, but then remembered that we has been rear-ended about 7 years ago and the whole rear end floor board was replaced...so even if it had been there it isn't now. So, in monkeying around in the back last night DH and I started talking about the horizontal pegs in the floor that the seats lock into (theback seats fold forward to allow for cargo if you need it - so these are the pegs that the back of the seats lock into when the seats are inthe normal seating position). The pegs are right under the back of the seat and seem like a prime candidate for tethering to (in an 'off-label' unofficial way) but there isn't enough clearance in that little spot for the harness clip to fit. We can, however, get the Britax tether strap adapter thing in there then hook to that. But the manual specifically says not to use that strap for front facing, so I'm not totally sold on doing that. However, I feel like some tethering, even if it is not official, is better than no tethering...but I could be totally wrong.

I'm just so torn on this - I do feel safer with DS in the center, further away from a side impact, but I'm more nervous because it is just the lap belt and the built in locking clips aren't being used. I'm also concerned about the seat being a projectile when DS isn't in it - which is the condition for most of my DH's commute (he drops DS off in the mornings about 2 miles away from home via backroads, then drives on the freeway to the office). I want both of my boys to be safe! Are there any aftermarket clips that might help me feel better? Any other ideas for me?

:) Kristin
Mom to Theo, born 1/12/2004 in Korea ~ home forever 7/6/2004
and Morgan the yellow lab

mommyto4
11-15-2006, 12:34 PM
I don't have any advice for you about the tether situation but, how would the seat be a projectile when the child is not in it? The Roundabout should be attached to the car via the seatbelt even if a child is not in it. Sorry if I'm missing something but, I don't understand what you mean by this.

yellowdogmom
11-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Sorry about that, I should have been more clear - my concern would be seat belt failure with or without DS in the seat...that's where the projectile concern comes from, if the belt should fail in an accident where the high speed impacts are more likely in my DH's commute (on the freeway after dropping DS off). Of course I want DS the safest he can be and DH to be safe as well.

mommyto4
11-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Oh, I understand now. Sorry for the confusion. I wish I could help with the tether problem but, I just don't know.

avd3875
11-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Hi Kristin,

That's the exact same idea I had. In fact, it worked out very nicely. However, I'm sure it is completely unapproved by both the carseat manufacturer and Toyota. I guess what I want to know is, would it do more harm than good? If it can't hurt, I would definitely get that D-strap thing on the bar and "tether" the carseat in my two non-retrofittable, tether anchor-less RAV4s! Julie, or any other techs, can this be beneficial, or would it cause a problem?

Good luck, Kristin!

BTW, what is the board you found for RAV4 owners?

yellowdogmom
11-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Annemarie - it is RAV4world.com in the forums section if you do a search (not the top 'search/links' link, but the yellow 'Search' link) on 'tether anchors' in the 4.1 General Forum you'll find the thread I'm talking about. I'd copy and paste it here, but the main url stays the same no matter where you are in the forums.

Well, we did tether the way I described and I think we're satisfied - but like you, I'd really like to know if there is any way it would do more harm than good. It sure seems nice and stable...

Joolsplus2
11-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Oooh, so tempting, I know, I know, but do NOT do it (use the d-ring to top tether FF)...beyond even the stretching of the strap, the metal of the d-ring isn't that solid bulletproof type metal you need for an FF top tether anchor.

It's a good thing to buckle seats in and re-check buckles for every trip, it's not worth fretting over, seatbelt failure really is phenomenally unlikely.

I heard of some Canadian tether anchor part that can be clipped to the captain's chair anchor of some car... possibly a honda, though, that someone got and used safely... are there any helpful canadians who have the scoop on tether anchor parts on the rav4 board?

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

yellowdogmom
11-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Oh darn, I guess the quest is still on! I had a gut feel that there was a reason they explicitly say not to use it FF.

Thanks for the tip on the Canadian clip...I'll see if I can dig something up on it.

And, as always, thanks for the great online consultation!