PDA

View Full Version : Advice on carseat for tall 38lb 2 1/2 year old boy

madtowngirl
11-20-2006, 06:05 PM
We need to get a new carseat for our son. don't know exactly how tall he is but he has always been off the charts in height and weight. He weighs 38lbs right now. So he's almost at the right weight for a booster but is he old enough for one? Should we stick to a Britax Roundabout type seat? We would hate to spend all that money just for a year or so till he can be in a booster. What do you all think?

katiesmommy
11-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Just because a child weighs enough to be in a booster seat doesn't mean that they are mature enough to sit properly in one. Could you trust your son to sit upright if he dropped a toy or cup. The child needs to be mature enough to sit correctly and not mess with the buckle the entire trip. As big as he is, I'd say to get a Regent. It goes to 80lbs and has he highest top slots available. Most average sized kids make it to at least age 9 in the Regent. So if your son continues to grow at the rate he is now, it would hopefully last him until age 6 or 7. What kind of carseat is he in now?

madtowngirl
11-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Now he is in a Britax Marathon but my soon to be ex-husband needs a car seat for his car now. I have been looking at the Regent online and that does sound like a good alternative - for my car too!!

kellyotn
11-20-2006, 06:40 PM
For an "off the charts" guy, I'd clearly get the Regent. You want to shoot for 4 years old as the earliest to even ponder a booster. In a booster, a child is sort of "responsible" for their own safety. I just don't trust my own 4 year old to sit properly yet. (Disclaimer - We do drive a ton, and that is a huge factor. 15 minutes here and there would be one thing, but 3.5 HOURS is another.)

Some 4 year olds are quite receptive to sitting and staying seated properly, others are NOT. Just depends on the kid. Since he's so big and has a minimum of 1.5 years before considering it, I'd totally go Regent. Then, you are done with car seat shopping for the longest amount of time and will get well past the booster minimum. :)

mommyto4
11-20-2006, 06:52 PM
I would also go with the Regent. It would last you the longest. My 9 1/2yo is 55 inches tall ant about 75 pounds and she just outgrew it by height. It is a big seat but, you need a big seat for your big guy. HTH.