PDA

View Full Version : I hate to post about this again...but I have more questions.

isaiahsmom
11-30-2006, 11:37 PM
If I buy the MA for DS, 40# 39", will I need another seat for him when he's older? I know that MA goes to 65lbs or so, once he hits that limit, will he be safe in a booster? I don't think I can put 2 Regents in my car, and I'll need a larger seat for DD once she hits 40lbs. I had planned to put DD in the MA once DS is a little older/bigger, but I think that I'll just keep him in a 5pt harness for as long as I can.

I drive an '01 Passat, DH has a '94 Altima if that makes a difference.

TIA for any responses.

Heather,

Mom to:
Isaiah 8.24.03
Amara 3.14.05

Joolsplus2
12-01-2006, 08:43 AM
The MA doesn't go to 65 pounds for most kids, it really just gets them to about age 5 or 6 (43-48 inches tall, depending on whether they have a long torso or long legs), and then, yes, you put them in a booster till they are age 8-12 (depending on the size of the car and the size of the kid, the adult seatbelt can fit earlier or older, you just have to keep using a booster till the belt fits and they can sit in it properly, my 9 yo can ride without a booster in the middle of one of our cars, but has a couple years to go in the other car before the belt fits him safely...sorry for the digression!). The Regent will fit a kid to age 8-10 on average, and some can go right from the Regent to the seatbelt without a booster (but usually you want an extra booster for travel, dad's car, whatever). Also consider the Apex and Sunshine Kids Radian, they are a bit narrower and the harness slots are a tad taller than the Marathon, as well as the seats are a bit broader in the shoulders than the Marathon.
Still, since you can use it for a year or two with him and then hand it down, the Marathon (www.albeebaby.com) would be a pretty good choice...or the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe is a 'stripped down' Marathon.

Hope that helps give you a little perspective (harness to at least 5 or 6, or longer in a Regent, booster till 8-12 (highbacks are much safer in side impacts in preventing head injury, so you'll want a highback for sure) so you know what to expect down the road :)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

isaiahsmom
12-01-2006, 12:03 PM
thanks Julie

I'm not sure if BRU carries the Sunshine Kids or the FP, but I'll check them out. I couldn't find any info on how well the Regent would fit into a Passat, do you know where I can find that? I checked carseatdata.org.

Heather,

Mom to:
Isaiah 8.24.03
Amara 3.14.05

Joolsplus2
12-01-2006, 02:53 PM
If there's a Husky or Super Elite listed for any near-year Passat, that's about the same. I think I've heard of a few Huskies in those cars and it's really fine (It's a huge seat, but surprisingly lithe in fitting in many smaller cars :) ).
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx