PDA

View Full Version : Jools?- Britax mama needs advice for gparents car- 4 yr. old w/younger sib

Hannaheser
12-28-2006, 12:39 AM
EDITED UP HERE- Jools, any additional input? I've looked on here on and off since DD was born, and I know you are a solid expert on these things. I'd love your input too!

I could use some input. My kiddos are ages 4yrs 1 mo. and 16.5 mos, and they are small.

DD1 is 33lbs, 38" tall at the most. (just remeasured her!)

DD2 is 20lbs, 29.5" or so.

For our house, we have all Britax. But I can't justify my parents buying a $300 carseat for the occassional sleepover DD1 has. What would be a SAFE and reasonably comfortable choice that will last her until she's old enough for a true booster? I see Julie you recommend until 7 or 8 yrs old? Eventually they may need two seats to take DD1 and DD2, but not yet.

For our house, I just bought 2 new Boulevards (they haven't arrived) for DD1, and we are moving DD2 into the 2002 Roundabouts. DD1 seemed to have 3-4 more inches of torso growth in the Boulevard when I sat her in one. I hope that lasts us until she's old enough for a booster. I want her in 5 point until she's old enough. I see Julie you recommend until 7 or 8 yrs old? I suppose I may need Regents eventually.... DD1 actually still fits in her RA, but DD2 needs them.

TIA for any input!!!!!!!

momtoB
12-28-2006, 09:25 AM
The Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe is made by Britax for FP. It's a bare bones Marathon, basically. No HUGS or top tether for r/fing and harnesses to 55lbs. Your kiddo's are a lot like my ds though and will prbly outgrow all car seats by height before weight anyway.

Albee Baby is selling the FP SVD for $150 right now.

Or you could get a good combo seat like the Evenflo Generations for your older dd since she's four and over 30lbs she doesn't need r/fing mode any more. This has 17" top harness slots like the Britax MA/DC/BV and would convert to a good booster once she's past the top slots, (or 40# weight limit) - or could be passed down as a harnessed seat to your younger dd.

hth.

Hannaheser
12-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks a lot, that does help. I know none of the other options, as I'll I've bought is Britax's. :) I'll keep an eye for any other input and send it all to my parents. (once I pick the front runners). I'm curious how the Evenflo's are for ease of adjustment. (wearing a jacket going, not coming home). We're in California, and this happens frequently jacket/no jacket. I've heard friends curse various carseats for tangled hard to adjust straps.

And my Toddler Bargains is from 2004. I was trying to find the updates to the 2006 online, but maybe they stopped doing that?

momtoB
12-28-2006, 06:02 PM
I bought the Evenflo Bolero for my MIL's car. It's the same as the Generations, only slightly less $ and a few less "frills". The evenflo has a knob adjuster so it's a bit different. My MIL thinks the buckle is too stiff and the harness is hard to adjust so I definitely recommend checking it out IRL before you buy one.

Since it's not recommended to wear too much clothing under the harness (it can cause too much slack in the harness and put child at risk of being ejected in an accident) you could always suggest taking the coats off before buckling up. They can be put back on backwards over the harness.

hth.

Hannaheser
12-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Good to know about the Evenflo.

Re Clothing, I assume one basic parka (not super thick, it's generally 40s and 50s sometimes 60s here in California) is not too much under the harness? I always make it nice and snug each time, when I buckle them in, since the Britax is so easy to adjust. Never occured to me to that it was a concern. DD1 is always snug in.

momtoB
12-31-2006, 12:09 AM
This article might help answer your question regarding clothing in the car seat:

http://www.carseat.org/Technical/tech_update.htm#pad,blanket

hth.

ajweeks
01-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Another seat to look into for your oldest is the Graco Ultra/Platimum Cargo. It is a combo seat like the Generations, but has a front harness adjuster like Britax seats. The adjuster isn't as smooth as Britax, but is easy to use. The Cargo doesn't convert to a great booster like the Generations does, but you can always pass down the harnessed seat to your youngest and get a dedicated booster for your oldest when the Cargo harness is outgrown. BRU should have all of these seats so you can check them out in the store and try out the adjusters.

The Cosco/Safety 1st Apex is also another combo seat option, but it requires high seatbacks/head restraints for support as the child gets taller.