PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my Radian - a couple of questions for Julie

yellowdogmom
12-29-2006, 05:24 PM
Julie,

Thanks for all of your feedback and help regarding the center installs, RAV4 (no tether anchors) install, Radian feedback, etc.

We're about to travel so even though DS hasn't outgrown his Roundabout I ordered the Radian and the backpack/case to travel with then use in the future all the time in DH's 1998 RAV4.

I can get a great install in the center position of the RAV using the technique of reclining the seats then pulling them to full upright after getting it as tight as possible. I can also get a great install with LATCH in my Toyota Matrix...but I have the dreaded install issue with the belt. Since the Matrix rear seats don't recline (at least I couldn't find that they do nor is it mentioned in the manual) I just can't get a tight enough fit. We don't plan to use the Radian in the Matrix, but we'll certainly have rental cars to use it in after DS is over the LATCH weight limit, but I suppose by then we could think about traveling with a booster. :\

So my questions for you Julie are:

1. Do you have any tips for a better install with belts without needing to recline the seats?

2. Since we're looking to replace the RAV in the next year or so, I want to make sure that we can get a good center install. I think I remember that you have a Prius, am I right? We're definitely wanting a hybrid for our next car and the Prius is high on the list, along with the Civic. Any thoughts on a Radian center install in either of these cars?

To be honest, I'm just in love with the Roundabout and Marathon and I'm really tempted to return the Radian and go for a 2nd Marathon and a set of GoGo Kidz wheels, but DH and I both just love the folding concept of the Radian and so want it to work!

ETA: OK, I did some searches and found Julie's recommendation to someone else about twisting the buckle stalk (female end) so I decided to run out and try that since I feel like the buckle itself may be lending to the loose-ness. That did help somewhat, but I found that my real problem lies in the door side where the lap portion of the belt comes out. It is very far over and is sorrounded by plastic, so there is a lot of wiggle room and it gives it a big angle to where it hits the seat and enters the belt path. So I decided to try it with the belt install in the center position - much better! The position of the lap portion of the belt is so much narrower than the outboard positions. I guess I feel OK assuming that any belt install I'd do would be center position anyway since DS is our one and only. OK, now I can go play Hi-Ho Cherry-O without obsessing about the seat! ;)

Thanks!

:) Kristin
Mom to Theo, born 1/12/2004 in Korea ~ home forever 7/6/2004
and Morgan the yellow lab

Joolsplus2
12-31-2006, 02:53 PM
Glad you figured it out...I'm in the middle of a dead laptop issue and traveling with family for xmas thing, so I haven't made it to all my usual haunts lately :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
01-02-2007, 10:40 AM
The Radian is a good deal heavier than the britax seats... IMPO&E, I'd return the Radian for another Marathon and travel with the Roundabout or pick up a cheap cosco Scenera (if rearfacing) or Evenflo Chase (if ff)

Also, while the folding is good, it's really not necessary as you would be doing it so much... folding to carry, unfolding to install... uninstall, fold to carry, install... be there and then uninstall, fold, carry, install on plane home, uninstall, fold to carry, then reinstall in car.

Honestly, I'd be happier with a cheap luggage cart or a gogokids and one of your britax seats or a cheap seat just for travel rather than have the Radian.

Kat

yellowdogmom
01-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks Kat,

We travel quite a bit and did have a dedicated travel seat (the Graco Comfort Sport) that DS just outgrew, so we've done the "cheapie just for travel" route. It really is the bulk rather than the weight that seems to be the issue for DH and I (well, "issue" is pretty harsh - just in replacing it we'd like a seat that will do duty in DH's car as well as serve us well for travel instead of having a cheap seat taking up space in the laundry room) - I'd also like to harness as long as possible even for travel, so that leaves me with the Marathon or the Radian. A luggage cart for the Marathon seems just about as "putsy" as the folding and unfolding of the Radian, so there is no big deciding factor there. Although the GoGo Kidz would at least eliminate the removal of the wheels for installation on the plane.

We're traveling next week and plan to take the Radian, so I guess we'll see how it goes...plan B will be a set of GoGo Kidz and a 2nd Marathon. (DS is about 1/2 inch below the top harness slot on his Roundabout, so it won't be lasting us too much longer). I do so love Britaxes, though...

I'll check back in with my experience!

jiskafo
01-07-2007, 11:28 AM
I have had my Radian for about 9 months now and I have found that the weight is not a problem. We used the seat to fly to Europe and were able to sit in the Middle row that has the exit row leg room because the seat is so narrow. The Marathon does not fit with the fixed arm rests. The Radian also fits inside my MacLaren Triumph that we travel with, so with a strap to secure it, we never carried the Radian. DS sat in his Radian, which sat in the Triumph. Worked like a Champ

yellowdogmom
01-23-2007, 01:24 PM
OK, I'm back after using the new Radian. I loved wearing it as a backpack through the airport. I thought it was much easier than slinging a Graco Comfortsport over my shoulder using the tether strap (which is what I used to do). I loved the install on the plane and DS liked being able to use the tray table for the first time!

I still maintain my only beef - which is the install. We had a Dodge Caliber and I got an acceptable install, but it's just still not a Britax-good install to me. I did find that adding the tilt to the base helped for a more snug install.

jammytoast
02-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Bumping this for more input on traveling with the Radian - esp on attaching it to the Mac Triumph. Any pics of that please?

jiskafo
03-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Sorry, I have been absent from the forum for a while. I will post pictures of the Radian strapped to my Triumph tomorrow

tjham
05-17-2007, 12:23 PM
bump

Wonder if she ever took the pictures? It would be nice to see them!