PDA

View Full Version : Installing Britax Regent using LATCH

Sherry
01-12-2007, 10:09 PM
We just received our Britax Regent last week. My dh is trying to install in in our Dodge minivan using Latch but is having trouble tightening the lower side harness straps. When he installed our Britax Wizard, he was able to pull the lower straps and tighten it so that there is no side to side movement. However, with the Regent, the straps come to a certain point and will not tighten anymore. There is a lot of side to side movement with the carseat. Should we contact Britax or Elite carseats, where we ordered from?

Thanks a bunch!

Sherry

Thatchermom
01-13-2007, 04:21 AM
We had the same problem when we borrowed a friend's Dodge van for a recent trip. It seemed that the latch connectors were placed higher in that van so that when we tried to tighten the straps the buckle-type pieces or maybe the piece with the loosener-button for the latch straps (real technical terms here, sorry. we don't have latch so I'm not as familiar with those parts) were hitting the shell of the seat before it could tighten enough. We were able to get a tighter fit when we realized that and made sure they were aligned with the slots in the shell before they were all the way tight. It still wasn't a fit we felt good about so we ended up using the belt. Probably not what you wanted to hear!

We also put the seat in my sister's Toyota Sequoia on the same trip and the latch anchors were much lower/deeper set in the seat. It was a breeze to install tight. I think my family thought I was nuts - the seat fit in so great, the best install I've ever felt - that I came inside all excited to get DH to show him. Thankfully he's really anal about carseats too and understood!

Joolsplus2
01-13-2007, 08:38 AM
This page might have some tips (like to pull the straps inward instead of out...) http://www.car-safety.org/husky.html but you might also just be happiest with a seatbelt install, I know I always am with that seat. Also, if the vehicle seats recline, try reclining them a lot, then install the seat as tight as possible, then push/pull the seatback back upright to get it rock solid.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx