PDA

View Full Version : Radian vs. safeguard with 4 yo & 5 1/2 yo.

glapapa
01-29-2007, 12:03 AM
instead of lugging our regents through the airport, we are considering now purchasing 2 additional seats for my DS who is 5 1/2 (6 in may) and DD who just turned 4 this month. We were planning on taking our regents with us, but after reading some posts, I might have changed my mind. We have been wanting to get extra seats for my DH car and this might be the excuse I've been looking for to get them. I want them to be somewhat portable b/c we'll use these in my mom's car and others as well. Regents are too heavy for that. Here are my dilemmas
1) Height issues
DS is 45 pounds 42", DD is 39" and 35 pounds. They are on the small side. I want to keep them harnessed as long as possible. The Radian looks like a good option, however, I'm concerned about the height for DS. He'll probably outgrow the seat in height way before weight.
2) Portability
I love the safeguard go seat, esp. since we'll be travelling too, but DH car does not have tethers (98 blazer) and def. not LATCH. He thinks tethers can be retro fitted, but I'm not sure they'll be safe. As a side note, does anyone know if that's safe?
3) time!
we are leaving friday! I need to make a decison and purchase asap! (probably with rush delivery!)
TIA!~

postmodernmommy
01-29-2007, 11:19 AM
The GO is a GREAT travel seat provided the vechicles you'll be in will have a tether. It's absolutely required. I like it because you can check it or put it in the overhead compartment. It's super light. We have one and love it for travel. As for slot heights I'm not sure which one will get you more mileage (my guess is the radian but wait for tech to respond accordingly). I think the radian is heavy for travel but it also folds really flat so maybe that will enable you to even bring it on the airplane? I also know you lose a little slot height when you install the GO with a seatbelt and not LATCH.

Good luck- maybe cross post this on the Car Seats board, it gets way more traffic than this one.

Amy
DD age 4.5
40.75 inches tall, 39 lbs

edited to say that we have a Regent in each car and there is NO WAY i'd travel with that seat. IT's just too big.