PDA

View Full Version : Graco backless Turbobooster seat

kbun312
01-30-2007, 05:16 PM
My son has outgrown his Marathon but he is not quite 40 pounds. He weighs 38 lbs. and is 38-1/2 inches tall. We were going to purchase a Graco backless Turbobooster seat for both of our cars (Chevy Trailblazer and Buick La Cross-- FYI: the La Cross' backseat is VERY small). Does anyone have input regarding the Turbobooster's performance and/or cars' backseats with other booster seats? Also, I just had twins and the bases for their seats (Snugride) and the Marathon do not fit in the La Cross, only in the Trailblazer. I'm hoping most boosters will be smaller than the Marathon width-wise. Thanks for your help!!!
Renee

Scatterbunny
01-30-2007, 06:10 PM
How exactly has he outgrown the Marathon?

How old is he?

kbun312
01-30-2007, 09:21 PM
He is too tall-- his shoulders are way above where the straps come out of the back of the seat. Also, it's really difficult getting him in and out of the seat in the La Cross. He just turned 3, but is almost 40 lbs. and 38 -1/2 i8nches tall.

Scatterbunny
01-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Are you sure it's a Marathon and not a Roundabout? I ask because even BIG kids usually don't outgrow the MA until age 4 at the earliest. I think I've only heard of one 3yo who outgrew it.

My dd was 38 inches tall at 2.5, and still fit under the second-from-top slot on the MA. She is off the charts for height and would have fit a MA until age 5.

Are you sure the cover has not slipped down? That actually happens often, and makes it look like the straps are lower than they actually are. Stick your fingers in the actual slots and feel for where they are to double-check.

I am concerned because, at barely 3, he is in no way ready for a belt positioning booster of any kind, let alone a backless booster. :o( It just is not safe yet. 4 years old is the bare minimum, and most kids are nowhere near mature enough to handle the freedom of being in a booster until age 5-6+. Plus, kids under age 5-6 in boosters have a much higher rate of head injuries in crashes than kids the same age in harnesses.

Three-across is tricky, though. You're right. Options would be the Sunshine Kids Radian, which is only 14.5 inches wide at the base and 17 inches wide at the shoulder area, but the top slots are only an inch higher than the MA's top slots. The Safeguard child seat would be great, but it's about the same width as a MA, with much taller top slots. The Regent would be even better, but it's the widest of all, about 2 inches wider than a MA.

Does the SUV have a third row? If so, I highly recommend the Regent, and making the SUV your primary vehicle.

For the car, if his shoulders really are way over the top slots of the MA, I don't think the Radian is worth it. So I think your only options for the car would be a Kid Y harness and Ride Ryte booster combo, or a RideSafer travel vest.

He simply can't go into a booster at this time.